Pages

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Wednesday

Another Wednesday, and I am again without tutor detail since the college kids are on break. I'm trying to make good use of my free time, it's going so-so.

The annual Christmas haul from step-mother-in-law arrived yesterday. The Diabetes in a Box has somewhat toned down from years past, so that's nice. She also habitually sends a 1000-piece art themed jigsaw puzzle for all of us as well as an art-themed desk calendar for me.

I have received these desk calendars from her for about as long as I've known her. I can't remember the last desk calendar I actually kept. I vaguely remember using a few at my desk when I was a working girl - back in the days before shared digital calendars. But I haven't had a desk job in many years, and we have things like MS Outlook now.

I mean, it's a nice thought, and the high-grade calendars are from the Metropolitan Museum of Art - [this year's] is Van Gogh. But seriously, I haven't had use for a desk calendar in a long long time and don't know how to ask her to stop. So I donate them shortly after they arrive.

I did get started on the puzzle. Possible marks for productivity?

On that note, I thought I'd try this Wednesday 'podge I've seen over at Incognitus Scriptor:

From this Side of the Pond

1. Did you do more talking or more listening yesterday? Was it by choice or by necessity? 

I would guess that I did more talking, but really, I'd think it to be about 50/ 50. I worked at the testing center, which necessitates that I spew a fair amount of information, but I also must listen. Then there's always the sit-around-and-gab-with-the-coworkers.

2. Are you a tea drinker? Hot, cold, or both? Flavored? What do you like in your tea? Do you make Christmas tea this time of year? What time of day do you like to sip your tea? 

Yes. Hot. Green or black. No additives. No Christmas tea. First thing with breakfast.

3. What’s an activity you won’t try, an event you won’t attend, or an athletic challenge you won’t take part in not even for ‘all the tea in China’

  • Activity = scuba diving
  • Event = bull fight
  • Athletic challenge = ultimate fighting

4. What’s something most people seem to love but is not ‘your cup of tea‘? 

Avocado anything

5. How does your family celebrate New Year’s Eve? 

Long ago readers might remember that we used to run a mile at midnight on New Year's Eve - "midnight mile" - no matter the temperature or conditions. These days, I'm tucked away in bed by midnight, ready to get on with the new year.

But hey, I'd stay up for midnight miling. 

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I went to the eye doctor today since it's been over a year, and I had the time. Nothing much has changed, and I almost feel the dr. just tweaked my prescription a little bit to justify my going in. 

But the bike ride to the eye doctor's and back was lovely. We've had nice mild weather most of this week, and I was reminded that this time last year, we were in a deep deep freeze and holed up indoors most of the time. What a difference a year makes.



6 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh how I laughed at this. I always thought I'd love to sit with you and have a coffee or cocktail, that you'd be my friend outside of the blogger world. Then you go and tell me you ran at midnight,you love tea and you biked to the drs. We could not be more different,yet I find you so damn endearing!I guess I'll be your friend who would only run if chased, who thinks tea is like drinking dirt, and who only rides stationary bikes. 😊

Danielle L Zecher said...

Sometimes it's easier just to donate gifts you won't use than to say anything. I'm giving one from a work friend to my sister. I won't use it and she'll enjoy it.
I think I'm one of the very few people still using desk calendars.

The Happy Whisk said...

Bike ride sounds wonderful. Wasfun to read through your answers. Understandable about the gifted calendar. Nice that you donate it. Today I was gifted avery nice food gift that I later learned that I couldn't eat because it had dairy. Hubby thankfully enjoyed some of it tonight.

Abby said...

Peggy, I would love to get together with you in person! I swear to not drink tea in your presence or bring my cat! But hey, how about we go for a hike 😝

Danielle, I kind of think SMIL "enjoys" giving them to me? So I'll continue to keep my mouth shut.

Happy Whisk, nice that you could re-gift that food so easily

Allstarme79 said...

Welcome to the Wednesday 'podge! That is cool you ran a mile at midnight. If we had that here, in any organized way, I bet my husband would enjoy that.

Abby said...

Allstarme79, one year, when the kids were fairly young, I off-handedly mentioned that I would stay up and run a mile at midnight if anyone would go with me. Much to my surprise, everyone was on board and it became a tradition for a few years.