Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2022

my tears can't drip

I was covered, head to toe, convinced it was the only way to survive the arctic blast. Even so, after 10 minutes or so of shoveling, my frozen fingers were complaining. Then, neighbor dude went by.

He had on an unzipped jacket and jeans, no hat, no scarf. Boots? Maybe. Gloves? Maybe?

He pushed his shovel down several yards of sidewalk in both directions from his house, clearing a path for his house, our house, and several others. I stopped my shoveling and watched him, nearly naked, go past. 

How were his ears not falling off, frozen bits of meat? How did his face still work? I thanked him for his fine but perplexing work and went about continuing to freeze my fingers.

Yes, like many parts of the country, we are in a deep freeze. Magnum and I went out and cleared our driveway and walkway early this morning when it was about -7 degrees F. He had to take Chaco to an appointment, and I stayed home with three dogs and the cat.  The college announced on Tuesday afternoon that we would be closed today through Saturday, so my winter break started a day early.

The sun did eventually peek out, so it turned into a pretty day, but never got higher than 2 degrees above zero as far as I could tell. I ventured out for a little look-see as the cabin fever was setting in. I figured I'd walk to the nearby convenience store for cigarettes. Just kidding.

The bright sun made it seem warmer than it was, and thankfully, the wind was nearly nonexistent. I swung by the neighborhood park to shoot a
hoop under that clear blue sky.


Afterwards I thawed out satisfyingly at home with hot tea and a ridiculous book - ridiculous not in a good way.



I guess Magnum thought my reading approach amusing from across the table.


I will not ever join an online dating site, but if I did, this would be my profile pic.

Truth in advertising.







Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
2. Write a blog post inspired by the word: cold.


6 comments:

John Holton said...

We'll get our blast of the cold weather tonight, with the wind and everything. We'll probably just stay in. There's plenty of food in the house and heat and electricity are working good.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Brrr....you've got it worse than me. I'm sorry.
We have no snow. It is windy as all get out. It is cold for this part of the world. (teens) We did not go for our morning walk today. Nope. It was a "snow" day for us. We went outside to batten down the hatches and I about got blown over. The wind is wild. Crazy weather. Stay warm and here's to your power staying on. Most around here don't have power. Thankfully we still do. 🤞
Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Patty said...

Seems we're all in the same boat, Abby...an ice-boat, for sure!

The snow-haters will judge me but, I'd much rather see a blanket of white everywhere rather than ice, gale winds and power outages all looking to take out Christmas!

Stay warm and safe and, of course, Merry Christmas!

Abby said...

John, seems like you're well prepped. Hope that holds for you!

Peggy, we are now over the worst of it. Short-lived but nasty for a while. If the power'd gone out - whatta mess that would've been! Stay powered and warm!

Patty, I'm with you - keep the ice, wind, and outages out of Christmas! Merry Christmas to you!

LL Cool Joe said...

We had -7F a week ago. Unheard of in this part of the UK. Now it's wet but warmer. I'll take it.

Happy Christmas to you my hooded friend. :D

KatBouska said...

We had an ice storm that kept everyone hunkered down, but nothing like what you all get on your side of the country. It was melted for us 24 hours after it started. :) I do enjoy your reading outfit though!