Pages

Friday, December 22, 2023

a break from this break

  • We had our little white elephant gift exchange at work  yesterday - ended up just being five of us as Triple-D was sick, and Star and Kitty had other obligations. I was surprisingly content with what I ended up with - a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle, kitchen sponges, and a dental grab bag - HA!

With these work gift exchanges, we try to do them without anyone having to purchase anything. I learned that the jigsaw had been gifted to Party Girl's dad, who has dementia and can do a 60-piece puzzle, tops. I suspect that she did purchase the kitchen sponges - they are new and in the shape of cat faces. The dental grab bag came from Work Study, who informed us that the college's dental assistant program had given them out for Halloween. Who knew?

As to why I ended up with gifts from two people, it's a roundabout story, but suffice to say that I almost ended up with that Zombie book that I brought after things had made the rounds. But Sarge actually wanted the book and traded up to get it. So all's well that ends well, and I don't have to buy toothpaste or floss for a while.

  • In other happy news, I went running this morning. My foot had been on the fritz for about a month and a half, but had gotten to feeling better, so I rejoined the weirdos this morning. It did okay, but in the meantime, I had contacted a local physical therapy office that specializes in running injuries.

They're offering a $49 special with full analysis/diagnostics, plus they're office is really close to our house. So I made an appointment for next week, and they sent me a questionnaire which asked typical questions like, "what hurts", "what makes it better/ worse", "what have I tried doing for it", etc... And it also asked something like, "What are my goals from therapy and how meaningful will it be for me to reach them?"

As for goals, I just want to be able to go for regular runs again and make a decent showing at a handful of races - 5K, 10K realm - each year, blah blah... But meaningful? I had to think. I mean, I'm nearly 60 years old. I'd like to be able to leave other 60-year-old women in the dust, but I'm pretty sure I've passed my peak. I came up with something for the meaningful question (all fields had to be filled in), but I realized I could find meaning in other activities if push comes to shove.

I'm off work today, and we're closed all next week. I guess I'll start searching for some meaningful things to occupy my time.



7 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

Pretty okay presents then. Could have been worse! THat you run at all I take my hat off to you.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

i find the question "how meaningful will it be for me to reach them?" for some reason I find that funny. I get what they are asking really I do. But at the same time, I would be so tempted to be a smart-ass. But that's Margaret, not Peg or Peggy.😉

The Happy Whisk said...

Neat that you found someone who understands running. Sounds like a good price too. Here'sto many more fun runs.

Abby said...

Liz, I've definitely had worse "gifts"!

Margaret, Peg, or Peggy, I understand their reasoning with the "meaningful" question too, but was also tempted with smart-assery. Old lady smart-assery.

Happy Whisk, thanks, here's hoping!

Danielle L Zecher said...

I like the idea of trying not to buy anything for the office gift swap. At least you got rid of the book.

Abby said...

Danielle, it makes for some creative gifting 🙂

Linda Sue said...

One of your drawings would make the best gift ever!