Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2022

waiting through the bad hurt

 "I was so confused. I didn't know what to do!"

Tuesday, I worked with one of the new-hires. I'll call her The Writer. It was her second day of training, and I liked her right away. She's an English instructor for her "real" job at the college. She asked me what she should be working on, so I asked if she had her training checklist from Boss, and I would get her going.

"I... don't know", she replied. "I worked with him last night, but he spent the whole time talking about his time in Mexico.  I was so confused..."

*Oh for chrissake*

"I'm so sorry. Yeah, he does that...", I sympathized. Oh, the poor woman.

Some readers might recall that, when I first took this job, I had a similar experience with Boss in regard to hockey. He droned on and on about hockey. 

I was so confused. I didn't know what to do!

I don't know why he does this. I honestly think it's possible that he has some sort of condition. He'll get rolling on some monologue and can't stop, and Boss's favorite subject is himself. I've since learned to anticipate it, see when it's about to happen, and cut him off at the knees, but it's not always easy or altogether avoidable.

It's understandably difficult for new hires because (1) it's so freaking weird and uncomfortable, but (2) it's the boss.

Thankfully, Boss was busy doing boss things on Tuesday, and we got some actual training and decent two-sided conversation in. 

"Oh, this is so much better!", The Writer exhaled.

I know some people don't like their bosses for a variety of reasons. Except for this issue, I mostly like mine - he's considerate and flexible with scheduling, very personable and approachable, treats us fairly, and he's good at running a test center.  Many test centers didn't survive the pandemic. 

In short, I like working FOR him. I don't like working WITH him.

I've worked there a little over one year, and four people have come on board and left within that time (if we count recently quitting what's her face, which I think we should in this case). I wouldn't be surprised if  Boss's ramblings were a key factor in the exodus. 

Of those of us who remain, I think Assistant Boss has learned to block it out, Party Girl - well, she drinks. A lot - and I've learned to stop it before it really gets going. I think Sangria uses a combo of stopping it and blocking it out. Now we've got two newly hired part-timers who also teach on campus. Fingers crossed for them both.

I wouldn't say I love this job, but here are some likes:

  • I like helping college students with their educational goals
  • I like helping professionals get their licenses and certifications
  • I like my work schedule, it's probably one of the better paying part-time jobs I can easily tolerate
  • I like my short commute
  • I like my coworkers and the instructors and tutors I've gotten to know
  • I like the steady paycheck and 401k, which I don't get as a contract tutor
  • I like the tidy, attractive campus

Gonna focus on the positive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
5. List 7 Reasons why you love your job.


7 comments:

Linda Sue said...

a yapper, eh...that is when I pull out my Asperger's card and hit the road with just the tangible facts re; the task at hand, man!
I like everything about my job because I am retired!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, a yapper, yes. About the most mundane of things.

betty said...

Those are great reasons why you like your job. I think they outweigh the boss and his incessant talking. We have 2 such people in our office. I do try to make a point of letting them talk for a bit since one lives alone so I figure he's probably a bit lonely and the other one helps me a lot figure out things so I don't want to get on her "wrong" side lol. But sometimes I just want to keep my earphones on when they come around to "chat".

betty

Jeanette said...

Sounds like a good job! Yes focus on the positives can make all the difference! The last few years I worked full time I was so burnt out I had a hard time appreciating the good things about my job!

Abby said...

Betty, I keep earbuds with me at all times while at work :)

Jeanette, I get it. When burnt out, it's hard to focus on the positive!

John Holton said...

I can occasionally be afflicted with "diarrhea of the mouth," as one of my old teachers used to say. I think I have it under control. Sounds like you have a great job that you love. That can be hard to find...

Abby said...

John, it's an "okay for now" job that I "like well enough and appreciate". "Great" and "Love" are too much of a stretch. I could blog bullets of dislikes, but that wasn't the prompt :)