Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2021

never ending story

Okay, lemme start by saying that I like my boss.  Real personable guy, friendly, helpful, cares about people... But omg, I'm here thinking up strategies for work later today.

Since it's summer semester, we've got some downtime and time to organize and converse.  On one of my first days on the job, Boss and I were talking and something regarding hockey came up.  He asked if I followed hockey.  

"Nope, not at all", I truthfully responded.

And THEN, he went on with this long monologue having to do with the college hockey team back in his home state and related tangents.  I swear it went on for hours but was probably more like 15 minutes.  

Yesterday, a similar thing happened.  One minute, one of my coworkers and I were discussing religion -an interesting topic - with Boss, but then hockey somehow entered the chat.  Boss then went on with yet another long drawn out story about the Russian hockey team and the 1980 Olympics, and oh. my. god.  Weren't we just talking about Jesus?

I tried to act like I was interested and listening, but I SO wanted to just turn away and do something - anything! - else.  My coworker who was in on the Jesus discussion did, in fact, turn away and do something else mid Russian hockey, leaving me stranded.  Was it because I listened to the whole story of the college hockey team that other time?  Am I the now the designated hockey audience??

As I said, I like Boss, and his talk of hockey has been a way to get to know him a little.  I enjoy conversing with people and learning about them through their interests, but these long monologues suck away bits of  my soul.  

I think that's why I like to read blogs.  They are a way for people to get their stories out, uninterrupted, and to connect with others with similar interests.  I can read them, latch on to parts that interest me, make and read others' comments... all on my own time.  


Is it just me?  I've found myself in similar situations with others who like to tell long stories without pause.  I like dialogue.  Monologue, not so much.  In fact, I would feel weird going on with a long story where I'm the only one talking, not stopping for thoughts or comments.  

I mean, I have a blog for blathering on, right?  I don't need to do it in real life.

Maybe I'll encourage Boss to start a blog, a hockey lovin' blog.  I'd read it.

No I wouldn't.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with MamaKat for the prompt:

5. Pet Peeve time! Write about something that makes your blood boil.


8 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Puck hockey, dentists do not advise playing the game. I understand you having to listen "attentively". I do it every day of my life. My mind drifts after about ten minutes- and then the person will say something like "don[t you think so?" or ask a question about what they had just said- I am blank. I usually blame being blond or old or scatterbrained and say "sorry?"After a while I am not talked at amy more. Wwwww
Hew.
Trumpsters still make my blood boil, Racists and conspiracy wackos, as well.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, i think you should tell him about blogging re: hockey. There are also hockey facebook pages to chat about your team or hockey in general. It's a touch situation to be in. Tell him you started your period and walk away - they never question you. LOL

BootsandBraids said...

Tough situation. Sounds like somebody is going to have to learn to like hockey :-)

betty said...

He must enjoy hearing himself talk :) And of course talk about hockey. Perhaps he doesn't pick up on clues that people are bored with what he's talking about for him to wrap up his monologue and move on? Maybe you have to perfect a glazed eye look for him to get the hint. What is really frustrating is hearing the same story over and over again and having to pretend its the first time you heard it. I hope that doesn't happen in this case!

betty

Abby said...

Linda Sue, agree, racists and wackos are beyond "pet peeves".

Peggy, HaHa! Interesting strategy!

BandB, I'll need a raise for that!

betty, I've learned that he has a reputation for overtalking. It's interesting to see others' strategies - look away, interrupt, just start doing something else - I'll get the skills!

Herb said...

I think the blog idea is great. It wouldn't be hard for him to do no matter what skill level he has. He could create a fan site or even a forum.

Astrid said...

I completely get your point about having a blog so you can blather on and don't need to worry about others not being interested, because, well, if they choose to read your blog, they have themsleves to blame if they get bored and don't click away. I think you should really encourage Boss to start a hockey blog and I totally understand why you would (not) read it.

KatBouska said...

If you can't beat him, join him! Next time he mentions hockey, tell him that the actress Candace Cameron-Bure from Fully House (otherwise known as DJ Tanner) married a hockey player. And then rattle on for about 30 minutes about your favorite Full House episodes. ;)