Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2022

girl you know it's true

I got a sponsored ad on my f@cebook feed for these running shoes. Their claim to fame is that they're "the first" running shoe designed specifically for women. I kind of doubted that claim, and after reading the story, I think Under Armour is really splitting hairs. 

I dunno, I'm skeptical, but have not put a pair on my particular feet, so  guess they can advertise all they want. But my takeaway from the article was a (admittedly, rather immature) giggle at the name of the shoe: Flow Synchronicity.

Flow

Synchronicity

I imagine the marketing minds brainstorming away. What to name a shoe JUST for women? Ooh, let's throw together some menstrual connotations!  FLOW! SYNCHRONICITY!

I won't comment on the colorway, but here they are. Period sneakers. For women. Of course.

Okay, onto another subject. The second week of August '22 is in the books. With that, Magnum and I passed the 32-year mark on wedded bliss. A couple of kids back then. 

According to the internet (which didn't truly exist for the masses back then), it was the same year the Berlin Wall came down, Operation Desert Shield began, the Hubble Space Telescope sent its first photos from space, "Twin Peaks" premiered, and Milli Vanilli was stripped of their Grammy after it was revealed that they did not sing on their award-winning album. 

Alas, I was such a Milli Vanilli fan. Blame it on the rain.

They don't make fake bands like they used to. 

12 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Okay first off I know that Ryka was the first woman's shoe for running that was made for a woman's foot. I began buying them in early 90s. #1 it was woman-owned. #2 her story was compelling. #3 they really did fit better on the narrow heel area.
Sadly they were sold to Global someone or another. So not even made in the US any longer. So this period shoe is a rip off and NOT the first woman's running shoe. They copied Ryka's shoe and added their 2022 spin of making it a Period Sneaker. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1993-11-08-9311080040-story.html

Happy Anniversary!!! 32 yrs is nothing to sneeze at. Look at young Magnum. Why no young Abby?

John Holton said...

Happy Anniversary! Under Armour makes those shoes? "Flow Synchronicity" is a pretty lousy name for them, even without the connotations...

Linda Sue said...

vagina shoes? What a stretch, not the vagina, the ad....I would never buy their shoes because they are gross. Insulting much?
Just watched "Dropout"...scamming big time! $$$$$

Abby said...

Peggy, Ryka was the first shoe company I thought of. I didn't know they'd been sold, but I don't hear much about them anymore.
No young Abby here. She took the pic. Besides, I haven't changed 🥴?

John, Thanks. And you're right. "Flow Synchronicity" is pretty lame. And too many syllables for a shoe.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, ooh, speaking of blood...
I haven't watched "Dropout" yet, but plan to. I've read "Bad Blood" and listened to the dropout podcast. What a scheming dumpster fire.

betty said...

Happy Anniversary! That is an accomplishment of 32 years! You had to be a child bride! LOL with the name of the shoes. I couldn't buy them. I don't think I could keep a straight face when asked what brand/model they were. And besides, the obvious. I don't run :)

Here's to many more years of wedded bliss for you and Magnum!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, I wonder. If a group of women get the shoes and go on runs together, will their foot strikes eventually synchronize? 🤔
Child bride, yes let's go with that.

Linda Sue said...

Abby, you comment to Betty, had me laughing all the way to the piddle place where I made it just in time.

LL Cool Joe said...

Happy Wedding anniversary!

I've watched that painful moment when the music stuck when Milli Vanilli were on stage and their cover was blown, and everyone realised they were lip syncing. Strangely enough every band you see live nowadays uses a backing track and sometimes it's obvious they aren't singing live at all and no one cares. If Milli Vanilli were a band now their music would have been auto tuned until it sounded like they could sing.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, we need to be careful. There should be shoes for us - runners to beat the sneeze pees and such...

LL Cool Joe, you're probably right about the auto tuning of Milli Vanilli and no one caring. I had a summer internship the summer of '89, and Milli Vanilli was a big part of my and my fellow interns summer soundtrack. Shocking when the news got out.

Jeanette said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary That is a silly name for a shoe I think!

Abby said...

Jeanette, thanks!