Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2022

when the student is ready

I did a brief exploration of becoming a high school teacher back in 2014. I enrolled in a program to convert people with STEM bachelor's degrees into high school teachers as it seemed like a logical path for me. Within one semester of the program, I was pretty sure it wasn't for me. 

But that's not to say I didn't learn some helpful tips. One thing I thought was useful was the idea of "Exit Tickets". Teachers out there? Know what I'm referring to? An exit ticket is a question or set of questions that each student answers individually at the end of a class. Ferzample, "what was the most difficult part of today's lesson for you?" or "how can you use what you learned today in your everyday life?", etc.

I had a lesson on Tuesday and thought I'd go through an Exit Ticket list I found on Pinterest

*ahem*

1.  Summarize the lesson using only one sentence.

    Bicycle flat tires happen, so it's good to carry a spare tube and repair kit.

2. One way I can connect the lesson to my life is...

    The lesson revealed that I should improve on having my sh*t together. Just having a repair kit is NOT helpful without a spare tube.

3. Something I still don't understand about this lesson is...

    I don't understand why that bike shop near the trail doesn't sell a common type and size of inner tube... or have a bike rack.

4. State one important thing I learned from this lesson.

     I learned to always carry a spare, or I may end up spending $ for a questionable temp tube to just get me home.

5. State three facts I learned from this lesson...

    There are no bicycle maintenance stations between work and home, but a bunch beyond.
    It is easy to fix a flat on bicycle Daisy, but my carry-on pump is crap.
    Low levels of bicycle grime DO wash out of my pink pants.

6. Describe something I enjoyed from this lesson.

    I enjoyed the part where it wasn't raining or super windy or freezing cold or sweltering hot...

7. Describe something from this lesson I would like to learn more about.

    I would like to learn if it would have been quicker to just walk home?  Theory: yeah.

8. Describe something from this lesson I would like to change

    I would like to change the part where I went to my favorite bike shop the day after fixing the flat because my wheel was wobbly. I went to the bike shop thinking something might be awry with my rim? The maintenance tech took some air out of the tire, sprayed all around my rim with soapy water, then re-inflated the tire, and everything popped smoothly into place like a piglet burrowing in to nurse with Mom pig.

I would like to change that part to... I found a one-minute youtube video explaining how easy it is to fix a wobbly tire with some soapy water, so I never embarrassed myself with my ineptitude at the bike shop.

9. I used to think _________, but now I know ____________

I used to think that the bike shop close to where I got the flat was a cheesy shop, but now I know it is.


Got a lesson to share? Got an exit ticket?


8 comments:

betty said...

This was so cute to read! I'm glad in the end it seems that your bike tire/issues were fixed and you did learn a lesson or two along the way! Funny, I don't remember doing exit tickets when I was in school. I do like the concept though!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, this was a good lesson for me. I don't remember exit tickets from when I was in school either, but I like them.

Linda Sue said...

Never heard of exit tickets - today I learned . I will be using this strategy for everything now, life will be meaningful at last!
Your bicycle is as entertaining as blind drawing, a bit more practical and complex, mind you, but fun just the same.Thank you for exit ticket.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, I love the idea of exit tickets - just not enough to put up with being a public HS teacher.

ShadowRun300 said...

High school was not my cup of tea either. I enjoyed the elementary grades and used my own variety of exit tickets with the students. They would answer similar questions to yours before lining up at the end of the day.
I have never gotten a flat while out on a bike ride *knock on wood*, and I don’t carry any sort of tools with me, so I would have been in just as much trouble. Sorry your bike shop was cheesy, but good lessons learned all around.

Abby said...

ShadowRun300, exit tickets are great for thoughtful reflection. I LOVE the idea of exit tickets for elementary kids! Probably get cute responses - before the snarky hormones kick in.
I've gotten a handful of flat tires, but they've been rare *knock on wood*, hence my slacking on preparedness.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I just read something similar that a teacher did. Her students weren't asking questions so at the end of an assignment instead of saying, any questions? at the end she would rephrase it to "what questions do you have?"
That made them ask questions and it worked. Then this teacher added, "ask me two questions" She stated it made such a difference and kids then asked more questions so it worked. I found it a lot like exit tickets. And both are so interesting to me.

Abby said...

Peggy, yep, years ago when I did tutor training, we were instructed to ask, "what questions do you have?", and it works! I ask that of my tutees, and I don't think I've ever had a "nothing" response.