Pages

Monday, July 12, 2021

remember when we wished we were older

I went to my referral with the skin doctor regarding my "changing nevus" and was beckoned from the waiting area by a girl who looked to be about 16 years old.  She told me she was a physician assistant.

Then the good doctor arrived.  She didn't look much older than the PA.  Okay, I don't necessarily feel old, just everyone else seems so young!

Anyway, she looked at the mole and declared it harmless.  I think she gave yet another name for it, which I've since forgotten, and said it's common to get these as we age.  "...and you don't have to be very old to get one", she added, probably to be nice.

She said they often show up in high-friction areas, and that makes sense, as this mole/nevus/old-person mark is on my shoulder where the strap of my purse or backpack lays.  It was a very relaxed - almost boring - consult, unlike the internet search that told me I was abnormal and doomed.

And that was that, I was in and out nice and quickly.  She offered to remove the mole if I wanted, but I said I'd just keep it (and the removal fee).

Some people believe that birthmarks or moles we're born with are signs of trauma from our past lives.  Well, first you have to believe in reincarnation.  Ya think? Maybe?

Who knows?  I have a large birthmark that covers most of one side of the upper portion of my back.  I forget which side it's on as I don't see it often.  I was oblivious to it until a doctor pointed it out to me when I was a teenager getting a sports physical.  

I have another on my lower left leg.  Show-and-Tell time, see it?



I remember often pondering the mark while in the bathtub as a little kid.  But I certainly never had any past-life revelations.  

If I were to make up a past life story?  Civil war injury to my leg?  Eventually killed me.

As for the big mark on my back... Gored by a wooly mammoth?  Or something stupid like worked or smoked myself to lung cancer oblivion?

Birthmarks.  Got any?  What's your (made up or otherwise) story?



8 comments:

John Holton said...

I had a brown spot on one of my arms. I probably still do, you just can't see it because my arms have gotten older and a little darker.

Good for you, going to the doctor to have that mole (or whatever it is) checked out. Skin cancer, especially melanoma, is hell to go through, and the faster you get it seen to, the better your chances that they'll catch it and wipe it out.

BootsandBraids said...

No birthmark, but a mark on my arm that looks like a birthmark, which was left by the polio/smallpox vaccine. I once had someone tell me they could tell I was older than I looked because of having that mark.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yep got one on my shoulder. I never made up a story but I'd insist it was trauma from having to be born into my family :-) Stress birthmark we will call it - I knew I didn't want to come here but they made me!

Abby said...

John, even though it turned out to be "nothing", the peace of mind was worth the trip. I'm careful now, but I used to be young and stupid about tanning.

BandB, I'm a member of that club too! I think I was in the last round of kindergartners to get the smallpox vaccine - I remember the day, actually. Wear that scar proudly!

Peggy, haha! Funny you say that. I have a small mole on my shoulder I've had since a kid. My mom told me that her "elders" said that a birthmark on your shoulder portends a hard life - from Jesus carrying the cross on his shoulder. Gotta love the superstitious!

betty said...

Glad you got a good report from the doctor!

At my present job, two of the ladies were talking age last year. One was born in 1990 and the other 1967. I felt so old, being ten years older than the one born in 1967 and my youngest was born in 1989.

I don't have any birthmarks. I hadn't heard of the "theory" that it might be from an injury/event from a previous life. Since I'm not adventurous in this life, perhaps that's why I don't have any from a previous one?

betty

Abby said...

betty, when I was at the nursing home, several of my coworkers were "kids" - born in the 90's or early 2000's. Different!

LL Cool Joe said...

Glad it was good news from the doctor. I don't think I have any birth marks but I am a moley person. I've had some removed and have a couple on my face which I hate.

Abby said...

LLCJ, I believe face moles are called "beauty spots". Go with it!