Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

I'll see your syncope and raise you one nevus

"sign cope?", Magnum sounded out.  We were at a coffee shop when he got a text from his step mother.  His dad was at the hospital getting checked out after an episode of syncope.  

I asked him what had happened, and that's when he phoneticized "sign cope?"  

"Ah", I recalled ,"he fainted -  sing·kuh·pee"

My FIL is nearly 87 years old, active and in quite good shape for his age, but syncope happens.  He was given a thorough once over and sent home to rest after ruling out anything serious.  

But we got into pondering why we non-medical people have different words, that aren't necessarily slang, than medical people.  They say syncope, we say fainting.

Many years ago, when I was pondering ways I could both earn money and stay home with the kids, I took a medical transcription course.  I finished it but never became a medical transcriptionist, opting instead for home daycare.  I managed to remember some of the terminology though, like syncope.  



Another word I liked was "debridement" as far as fun words to pronounce go, because my particular transcription course used the French pronunciation.  Even wound cleaning sounds sensual in French.

Yesterday, I went in for my annual physical if for nothing else but our insurance puts money in our HSA if we do these things each year.  And since I was there, I asked my doctor about a mole on my shoulder that seems to have gotten bigger recently.  After taking a look, she referred me to a dermatologist.

Back at home, I contacted the skin doctor office to book an appointment while looking at the notes from my Dr. visit.  She'd listed "changing nevus" in the things we'd discussed.  Through my adroit deductive reasoning, I determined that nevus (nee·vuhs) means mole.  Yup.  

...or mole means nevus?  

Which came first, and why?

Got any medical terms to share today?


7 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well I learned new words today.
Thank you Abby

Linda Sue said...

medical lingo perplexes- it always sound like it is invented to make you drop dead on the spot or drop a load of cash for treatment. Fingers crossed about the Knee- vuss.

Abby said...

Peggy, Okay, now go use them in mixed company!

Linda Sue, I'm not too nervous about the nevus :)

betty said...

I was a medical transcriptionist for 40+ years until I was terminated back in October 2019. I knew all the "lingo" lol :) My son used to call me with symptoms he was having and I would tell him you probably have this or that and then he would go to a doctor and 9/10 times I was right with the diagnosis :)

betty

Abby said...

betty, wow 40+ years, cool! Betcha heard/transcribed some interesting stuff.

betty said...

Abby, I did transcribe some interesting stuff. Two reports of the "millions" I transcribed stand out. The first was a doctor who was writing a condolence letter to the daughter of one of his patients who recently passed. The lady was really special to him. He's crying through dictating it and of course that started me crying. The other one was a death summary of a little child that had passed. In it the doctor was dictating how loving the mom had been to the child (who I think had congenital issues). That got me crying too. I really loved transcription but a lot of it changed over the years and when voice recognition was brought in around 2010 the industry really changed not for the better and went downhill after that.

betty

Abby said...

betty, thanks for sharing. I didn't realize transcription could be so emotional.