Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2021

that time I was a potato

 Yesterday, a little after getting home from work, I went over to the futon with the laptop and remained there, inert, for a couple hours.  Most days, I would maybe go for a short run, or go for a walk with Magnum, or do a quick grocery run before a shower.  Afterwards, maybe do a little sketching in the new sketchbook I bought for 12-year-old me.  But not yesterday.  Yesterday, I just felt like a potato.

I chalked it up to "Monday blahs" because Wednesdays are my Mondays, and left it at that.  Today, I was talking with my coworker "Yaz". She and I had worked together yesterday too.  She mentioned going home and laying around until about 6pm.

"At that point, I decided it was too late to do much else, so I just went to bed", according to Yaz.

She went on to say that her boyfriend woke her up in the middle of the night saying that she was "radiating a lot of heat".  She responded by rearranging the quilt a bit and going back to sleep.

Both Yaz and I woke up feeling just fine this morning and had an uneventful work day.  After I got home this afternoon, Magnum and I went for a typical little walk, and now here I am.  But the events had Yaz and me wondering if something was up.  Another of our coworkers left, feeling nauseous, shortly after coming into work yesterday.  Yaz and I weren't nauseous at all, just felt like potatoes.

Magnum joked about one of the COVID vaccine conspiracies:  we're being injected with something that will be activated when the evil oppressors activate a "kill switch".  Yaz, me, and the nauseous coworker all got our COVID vaccines on the same days.

"Maybe they were testing the kill switch yesterday", obviously.

Anyway, I did get myself a little sketchbook a week or so ago to occupy my downtime.  12-year-old me got excited about new sketchbooks, and I realized 56-year-old me does too.  Easily entertained, both of us. 

the first 'break-in' sketch

the one after shoveling a bunch o' snow


fabric folds practice with ridiculously low slung, ridiculously baggy jeans FTW


and this, wanting still life after a run


Starting tomorrow at the care facility, the residents will have a lot more freedoms from COVID restrictions since they and the remaining staff have received the vaccine.  I'm looking forward to that, and I'm sure most of them are too.  

Group dining?  Maskless Bingo?  Let the mayhem ensue.


4 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Oh man, your drawings are so fabulous! I love your stuff!! and that is weird about feeling punk, all of you, same day ...dang, that is kind of spooky.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

God you are good at drawing.
I can maybe, yes only maybe, make a stick figure.
Weird how that potato feeling happened to you.
That has been my MO for the last 4 months of this pandemic.
Then add the fact that I don't get any sleep some days at all and I'm a hot mess. :-)

LL Cool Joe said...

I thought you were going to say you had covid. Glad that's not the case! I like the drawings. I used to love drawing shoes, now I just wear them.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, never did figure out the reason behind the potato-ness. Thankfully it hasn't returned.

Peggy, don't take this the wrong way, but I wish you'd get hit with a good dose of potato sleep at night!

LLC Joe, nope, pretty sure I don't have covid. I like drawing old shoes every now and then. Then I remember the laces are a pain.