Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

how did I get here?

I have this photo tacked up in my home office.  It fell out of a box of other photos when we were moving in to this house.  I thought of chucking it back into the box, but paused and decided to tack it to my cork board.

Not sure why I was making that face, that smirk. But I can remember being that age - about 12 or 13 years old.  I was thinking more about who I was and what I would do in the future.  I was becoming more independent of my parents.  I was noticing boys, and subsequently, my clothing and hair choices.  Note the precursor to the Farrah hair of high school.  Clothing would need to catch up.

I remember reading - in a magazine article or such - about getting back to your "true" self as an adult.  The article suggested thinking back to when you were about 12 or 13 years old.  I guess that is supposedly our "true" self age?

So that's why I tacked the photo up.  To remind me to be myself.  

I'm thinking of this because Astrid over at A Multitude of Musings posed the question of what 12-year-old you would never believe about your current self.  

Well, the answer for me would easily be my current job in geriatric nutrition - specifically the "Front of House" side of things.  Certainly health and nutrition were of interest back then, but more the science of it.  And  geriatrics?  Nope.  Serving geriatric meals?  Heck no. 

But things change and life leads us down paths we don't anticipate.  I started out post-college life in the corporate world, which made sense to 12-year-old me.  In addition, I

  • ✅ got married and had kids
  • ✅ was a busy volunteer mom 
  • ✅ did some teaching and tuting
This food and nutrition gig is all right, though, mainly taken on as a part-time "retirement" job.  Then the boss made me lead Den Mother.  I waivered on that one, but 12-year-old me said to do it.

Today, our boss gathered us and announced that she's resigning.  She's accepted a position that is a step up for her, and it's a good time for her to move on.  We're all a bit wary as she's a well-liked manager, and we're bracing for what could happen next.  

As she gave us the news, she noted that any of us should feel free to apply for her position once the opening is posted.  I swear I caught a brief telling moment of eye contact.

Oh, hell to the no.  Shut up 12-year-old me.  You don't know what you're talking about.  And wipe that smirk off your face.

What would surprise 12-year-old you about your life right now?




7 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby you were so damn cute - well you still are!
My 12 year old self was stressed. I don't wish to go back to that age. My mom was dying and my world was falling apart. Stiff upper lip was constantly told to me. I'd tell that 12 yr old to not hold it in, cry, don't listen to the adults, be angry, tell anyone who will listen, you matter. My 12 yr old self would be happy to see that I am still the same feisty woman and I did as mom told me to do, reach for the moon because the worse that can happen is you'll fall on a star. I'd also tell that 12 yr old it worked out just fine, relax, you have a good life but not where you thought you'd be but this may be even better.😃

Brian said...

12 year old you is gonna put you in a bind!

12 year old me? Would be surprised at the path my life has taken. Didn't check off a single thing on my 12 year old bucket list. Life is full of surprises.

Brian said...

You better buckle up Abby. Sounds like the weather will be getting medieval out your way. Hunker down & stay safe!

Abby said...

Peggy, I think you get a pass on 12-year-old you being your "true". That's a lot to deal with at such a young age! She'd be happy with you now :)

Brian, well now you have to tell us about your 12 year old bucket list!
As for the impending storm, we're all here waiting for the shenanigans to begin and trying not to freak out!

Linda Sue said...

Forever twelve!

Stubblejumpers Cafe said...

What a great question!
Twelve-year-old me would find it hard to believe that I get my pyjamas on at 8 o'clock and am often in bed before 10, then up again at 6 a.m.
-Kate

Tee said...

Twelve-year-old you was a cutie! It's funny how as kids, we have these solid ideas of how life will turn out. Even though it didn't go where you thought it would, your life seems to have turned out well. As kids, we think we have to steer ourselves toward success and happiness. True to some degree. As adults we learn, as you have, to accept that those things can come from places we never expected.

Twelve-year-old me? I remember just beginning to notice the division of kids at school. Those in the in-crowd, and those who were not. Life was starting to get a lot harder than it used to be.

I remember that being about the time I noticed I enjoyed writing. In my classroom, we spent a few weeks on creative writing and I LOVED doing my homework at that time. I got all As on my stories and felt excited about writing more. Probably during that same time-frame, my dad asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I remember rattling off a few possibilities, including being a writer. He flat out said, "No. You can't make a living being a writer." He was right. Today-Me is not earning money by writing. But I am writing. It took a while to come back to it and I miss how easily my brain used to be able to imagine and create. I have to work harder at it now, but I still enjoy writing. What I do for a living though never crossed my mind back then.