Pages

Monday, March 22, 2021

rearranging...

 ...the deck chairs on the Titanic?

There's much grumbling mumbling going on at the care facility where I work.  I've mentioned that our CEO made the COVID vaccine mandatory for all staff by April 1.  We all figured it would have eventually been made a requirement for employment, but April 1st felt a bit abrupt.  Then there was a stressful mad dash to get it done in time.  For some, that is.

Others have decided to say, "Fine!", and turn tail.  We're losing a LOT of nurses, and other departments are losing people as well.  My crew is losing five that I know of.  

From people I've talked to, they probably would've been fine to get the vaccine later on down the line, but it was the principle of being told, "do it now or else!".  Not gonna lie, it rubbed me the wrong way too after we'd been told we'd have plenty of time to ask questions and learn more.

So now, those of us that gave in and got vaccinated lickety split are understandably worried about short staffing.  When I last checked the company website, there were still a crap ton of job openings.  April 1 is less than two weeks away.



Morale has slipped, I can feel it.  I feel it in myself as well.  I mentioned here also that my well-liked boss recently gave notice and is moving to a new role with another senior care company.  Good for her!  Many others are seeking alternatives, it's gonna be a downward spiral.

So I dunno, I'm not feeling a lot of loyalty right now.  Honestly, this was just meant to be a semi-retirement job for me - something with a good purpose to keep me busy and bring in a bit of fun money.  

I've decided I'll stick it out for at least another couple of months since  

  1.  I want to see what happens after April 1st and management's response
  2.  I'm curious to see who my boss's replacement will be.  And somewhat ironically,
  3.  I happen to be the Employee of the Month for March.  Seems bad form to put in notice in the middle of my "reign", with plaque etching still warm *snicker


Ever dealt with short-staffing/ low workplace morale/ inflexible upper management?


5 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I find it interesting that people feel so strongly against the vaccine. But aren't there other rules that they must abide by? How is this different when being told what to do? Micky D's makes you wear a dumb hat and clothes. I get their fear of the vaccine but it seems more like a trump tantrum than that to me. I am certain the family members of the residents thank all who took the vaccine for their loved ones. It's not about those getting it but more about who isn't going to die from Covid at this facility. And no, while your name is warm Abby you have to stay. At the end of April you can high tail it. The new name will go up. 😄 Then it's that persons issue.

Abby said...

Peggy, it's really not so much fear of the vaccine itself, but the hard-handed "NOW!" from management, which has been pretty silent during the other adjustments we've had to make due to COVID. Kind of a last straw on the camel.

Morgan Cartwright said...

Oh wow! Mandatory vaccine?! The company I work for had a Town Hall in February and someone asked about mandatory vaccines and the CEO replied that it hasn't been a discussion yet due to the legal ramifications. He didn't elaborate. I completely get people getting upset about the directive. This is something people should be able to discuss, research and decide on their own. I am getting my first vaccine tomorrow and I am more excited about it then anything. :) You'll have to keep us updated on the work place happenings. (wishing for the best in the situation!!)

Abby said...

Morgan, I think we all "knew" it would be mandatory, probably by summer. I understand both sides of the argument, but I hope upper management has a plan to fill all these open positions!

LL Cool Joe said...

I had the vaccine purely because I know without it I won't be able to travel, also they are now saying we will need some sort of vaccine passport to go the pub or out for a meal. Seeing as we haven't been able to for over a year now I was almost begging them to jab me. :D