Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2021

wrapping up, moving on

Greetings on this new year.  Already on the 3rd day in, I'm a bit late to the party?  As it happened, I worked on new year's morning and was in bed like a good girl by about 9:30p new year's eve.  Likely, even if I didn't work new year's day, I would've been in bed like a good girl on new year's eve.

I took a moment to think back on the year to give myself closure.  It wasn't all pandemic all the time as I reviewed that I...

  • sold a house
  • bought a house
  • got a new job
  • got another new job after COVID nearly killed the other new job
  • zoomed
  • wore many a mask


  • climbed a horsetooth


  • climbed a mountain



  • rode (and crashed) a mountain bike park

  • Inktobered
  • voted
  • did many many COVID nasal swabs
  • ran some races



  • got older


Really, not too shabby ALL THINGS CONSIDERED.  

I'm not one who believes that everything will be unicorns and rainbows because we turned a page to a fresh calendar, but we'll keep on chugging.  One day at a time.

As mentioned, I spent new year's day with coworkers and the old folks.  The Pfizer COVID vaccine began shooting through our facilities last week.  From my casual conversations, I'd say about half of the staff are opting to get it while others, including me, are waiting for a later round.  Interestingly, it seems many of the ones getting it this first go around are office types who don't really give direct care to residents.  

My boss had COVID a month and a half or so ago.  She was telling me about the strange "brain fog" and fatigue she's dealt with ever since.  I recently read an article about concerning psychological symptoms showing up in a few people who've recovered from the virus.  

Okay, can we cue the unicorns and rainbows already?



6 comments:

Linda Sue said...

The effects on brain are well documented as with the flu of 1918- President Wilson denied the spanish flu, did not wear a mask, got up close and personal with his voters and peeps - caught the virus, recovered but could not president any more- his brain effected so seriously that he would fly off the handle at any provocation, could not add or subtract or string words together in a coherent sentence. So it is not just this virus that damages the brain. Wilson never fully recovered. I can think of another president who suffers the same.

Anyway, well done on the year that is in the rear view! We are still alive- so job well done...

Abby said...

Linda Sue, yes, we made it this far! I believe ol' Woodrow had a stroke after his bout with Spanish Flu. Damn viruses.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I read an article about the long term symptoms all have. Brain fog is real. I got this from my mold toxicity. Mind-numbing fatigue and brain fog. I stared at the sofa and could not remember the name of it. I was unable to multi-task in my office. It is slowly moving away with my treatment and last week I found that I did a lot better at work and it was noticeably better. That was scary to me. Much like Alzheimer's scares me.
Here's to a good start in 2021!

Abby said...

Peggy, I'm glad to hear your brain fog is clearing! It does seem scary and just another thing to worry about with COVID. I see dementia every day at work, and anything to avoid it is good! My boss is only about 30 y.o., and her brain fog description is much like yours.

Tee said...

Your post is a nice reminder that we have to keep living in whatever ways possible in spite of the pandemic. You accomplished a lot! Not that I'm surprised. :-)

Morgan Cartwright said...

You've had a good year!
My mom got the COVID vaccine. I believe her hospital had the Pzifer one also. She's a nurse and wasn't sure if she wanted to get it. Peer pressure got the best of her. She has her second dose this week. She keeps warning us if she turns into a zombie, we know why. :) I won't be getting it for a while either because I work from home and try to keep myself as safe as possible (I know, it's hard to even know what's safe sometimes)