Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2020

what I did at summer camp

It's probably been around 30 years since I was last in Winter Park, Colorado.   Well, before this week anyways.  We just got back from a few days in the mountains, and I didn't turn on a computer the whole time.  Miss me?  Even notice I was gone?

We planned a family trip several weeks ago, and the stars actually aligned so that all five of us could hang out.  So I've been in and out of a mountain cabin for the last few days.  I'd like to say we enjoyed fresh air and sunshine, but various big wildfires out-performed the fresh air part.  Plenty of sunshine, though!

Obligatory sitting-around-on-vacation pic:

Don't mind the small blemish on my left shin.  I did a much better job on the right shin when we spent the day at Trestle Bike Park.  Trestle is a mountain bike resort with miles and miles of mountain bike trails.  The nice part is, you can ride a gondola to the top, so you're mostly riding your bike DOWNhill.  Weeeeeeeeeee!

Wolfgang is the most experienced mountain biker of the bunch and has been to Trestle before.  The rest of us noobs got to experience it for the first time.  

Meego and whatsherface.  Who wore it better?




It's one thing to snap a pic at the base of the gondola, another thing to get back down the mountain.  Just call me "hashtag slow and awkward"!  Nonetheless, I've got to say, it was fun!  Magnum and I stuck with repeatedly riding on one green trail in particular, aptly named "Green World".  It was great because it went for miles and miles without getting too technical.   

One of Wolfgang's friends joined us on Trestle day, so those two did their thing on the more advanced trails.  Meego and Chaco hung out with Magnum and me for a bit, but pretty much left us in the dust and did their own thing.  

And it wouldn't be a noteworthy day at the bike park without some body damage, right?  Meego was the first of us to do an over-the-handlebars move resulting in a bit of road hash and some bike blemishes.  But he was back to it in true 20-year-old fashion.  

Later on, Magnum hit a highly technical berm and ended up flying off the bike (translation:  he tripped exiting the gondola)

Finally, I attempted a particularly gnarly feature, and ended up sending it off the trail and into the foliage (translation:  I pulled my slow @ss over to let an adolescent pass me, and ended up dumping my bike).

Successful first trip to the bike park!

--------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
4. Write a blog post inspired by the word: damage


10 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I want to say it looks like fun, but, I'd be lying. :-)
So I'll say looks like you guys had a wonderful time and that is the positive of a quarantine vacation. The scenery as always is gorgeous! Enjoy!

John Holton said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

There's just NO graceful way of crashing on a bike. It's always akimbo everything.
Still, looks like a great way for a day's reunion with the fam!

Abby said...

Peggy, everyone was well-behaved regarding Covid restrictions. It's nice the ski resorts can make up some lost revenues with opening the bike parks :)

John, we did. Grateful we got to do it!

Anonymous, very true. Told myself, "Eh, I won't need no stinkin' knee pads..." Pfffft. Good times!

Madamdreamweaver said...

Good you got a nice trip in. Why are you wearing masks on an outdoor bike trip?

Abby said...

MDW, the bike park is a resort that also has shops, restaurants, etc. so masks were required to get in and also required for getting on and off the gondola. I don't remember seeing any masks on the trails.
We took the photos in mid-afternoon, and the crowds had thinned by then.

Lori said...

That sounds so fun! The family that crashes on bikes together, stays together.

Abby said...

Lori, there is that. We're most of us on the same insurance.

Patty said...

I love your energy and daring, get exhausted just reading about your bikescapedes!

Abby said...

Patty, it was a lot of fun! I was glad to be there on a weekday when it wasn't too busy, so I could bask in my noobness.