Pages

Friday, August 7, 2020

cash, a hose, nose spray, and the booby prize

"I'm done with meetings after tomorrow, so if you still want to hike the west peak...", Chaco calls and says on Tuesday.

Several weeks ago, we talked about planning a hike up the West Spanish Peak in Southern Colorado, near my hometown.  The mountain is one half of the Spanish Peaks, named Huajatolla (/wɑːhɑːˈtɔɪə/ wah-hah-TOY)  by the Ute Indians, meaning "breasts of the earth", for obvious reasons.


The West Peak is the more voluptuous of the two - as we know, no pair is  perfectly symmetrical - and nearly 1,000 feet higher in elevation than the East Boob... er... Peak.  It tops out at 13,626', just missing the list of Colorado 14ers.

It so happened that my schedule was also free for the remainder of the week.  The stars thusly aligned, we set out for the boobs.

It was about a 5-hour drive to the trailhead, so we set out Wednesday afternoon to camp overnight and get a Thursday morning start on the mountain.  The drive went pretty smoothly (not mentioning the golf ball-sized hail in Colorado Springs), but we arrived at the trailhead and realized the fee to camp was cash only.  That's when I realized I'd forgotten to bring some cash.  Same for Chaco because who carries cash??

The overnight fee was $12, and I miraculously found $13 in my wallet - one dollar to spare!  The next morning, we readied.  We each wore hydration packs - backpacks that include hydration bladders for easy sipping.  Chaco's pack had a good supply of water, but alas, he'd forgotten the hose that gets the water to his mouth.  Slight omission, but I'd brought some bottled water, so we grabbed a coupla those.  We'd need water for Chaco's dog, Ella, too.

With that, we set out.  About a mile or two into it, I realized I'd forgotten to snort my Flonase for my allergies.  My allergies give the annoying symptom of messing with my ears, which affects my balance, despite my allergy injections (which I'm starting to think were a waste of $$).  The Flonase helps keep me sober... if I actually USE it.  OH WELL, what's a little balance issue while climbing a mountain?






Looking toward the summit.  Chaco's backpack with everything but a hose.














Just before things got really steep and rocky, me without my Flonase
















View of the east boob as seen from the summit of the west boob.

















Then we had to get back down.














All in all, it was a beautiful day and satisfying trip.  We didn't camp illegally or succumb to dehydration, and I managed to stay upright the entire time. 


It's not an adventure unless something goes wrong, right? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
3. Write about a time you forgot something important







9 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip up the boob to look at the other boob.I was going to say it looks like fun, but that would be a lie, it looks bloody hard work!

Madamdreamweaver said...

What a funny local name for mountains. They look it. Good that trip worked out and you enjoyed yourselves. It's neat to be near mountains. (I live in flat Florida)

Abby said...

LLC Joe, well it wasn't easy, but the other boob view made it worthwhile, I suppose.

MDW, I'm thinking there are similarly named mountains. The Grand Tetons come to mind. I heard someone describing explorers who named such things as, "after a while out in the wilderness, everything looks like a woman laying down"

Kim@StormsAndStardust said...

"It's not an adventure unless something goes wrong, right? " So true!

I keep meaning to start hiking, and would love to go by myself. But I'm also afraid to, because all sorts of misadventure awaits lone females in the woods.

Kim

Abby said...

Kim, just do it, really! I've hiked alone and also seen many other solo women. Maybe start with a short hike, not too far in the boonies, and build from there.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Now I could probably get Rick to hike if I told him we were going to view the boobs.
Me, you'd have to drag me by my hair. God love you I so wish I could get into this. But nope, I'd rather have a sharp stick in the eye. You are da bomb!

Abby said...

Peggy, HA, way to take advantage of the name of a pair of mountains!
I'll admit this one was challenging as it was very steep with wobbly rocks.

Patty said...

All I can say is...Wow!

I thought I was hot stuff doing 4 mile walks on our local bike trail but you take my breath away. My trots are like a walk-in-the-park compared to what you do!

Awesome!

KatBouska said...

Wow! Who knew what a great view you could catch at the peak of a boob! Love the pics!