Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

trying to give up smoking


I met with a tutee this morning.  I opened up the online classroom and remembered I was wearing a bandana all, "YEEE-HAAAAW!!"

It's been SO smokey from surrounding wild fires. As if wearing a mask for Covid weren't enough, now I actually want to cover my nose and mouth.  Before I logged on, I'd been wearing the bandana all Bandito-style, then pulled it down and forgot it was there like a bib until the video kicked in.

New summer fash-on. Anyone know a good rain recipe?

Anyway, it's been a minute since I was last bloggin'!  I've been somewhat busy and thought I would summarize my list of productivity:

Firstly, I returned to the hospital job yesterday after three weeks of furlough. Furlough activities include...

Seriously, WTH

  • applying for new side gig jobs
  • getting a golden crown
  • watching my tutees, Meego, and related memes as school starts in the year of Covid

  • getting a side gig job offer and accepting
  • saying "good-bye" to allergy injections
  • quitting resigning from my other side gig job
All right, that's enough summarizing.  But does anyone else buy band-aids or itch cream, etc., throw it in a drawer or box and end up with things scattered around the house?  I found some first aid ointment with a 2009 expiration date for chrissake.

Medically speaking, I'm happy with my new golden (tooth) crown and am going to see what happens if I don't mix up another batch of allergy juice.  

On the job front, I've mentioned how my hospital culinary job was stumbling along with hours reduced since Covid restrictions.  All of us took voluntary furloughs, and we're still at reduced hours.  I'm down to one shift a week - that was my yesterday fun.  

I managed to find a very similar job at a nearby rehabilitation facility.  It seems that providing comfort food to the infirm is my retirement calling, and I'm not complaining.  I haven't actually begun working there yet as they are background checking me as I type.  I'm so boring, if they find anything, it's a mistake.  

So I told my hospital boss yesterday, and he was naturally understanding.  Really, I think I'm doing him a favor - one less person to try to keep on the payroll.  As we were chatting toward the end of my shift, my coworker Em entered from the kitchen holding a towel and her hand with her other hand.

"Uhm... I've cut my hand and am going to take care of it.  I'll be right back", she reported

She hadn't returned by the time I left about a half hour later.  I'm thinking her cut was more serious than Boss and I were thinking, and maybe she actually went to the ER down the hall.  I guess I'll find out when I go in for next week's last lone shift.

Either way, I've got plenty of gauze if she needs it.



9 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

You changing jobs?
Do you think people answer those Covid tests truthfully?
Do you think people with Covid - go on into restaurants?

Linda Sue said...

Oh my you are a busy bee aren't you! and a cool looking one at that, all western and rodeo!
Just been another serge of covidinia up here, not sure why other than folks getting lax.
And yes, Our fist aid box is ridiculous! I will post our sun screen someday, the many years of it, Coppertone girl with her pants down!Ancient!

Abby said...

Sandie, yeah felt like time to jump the one-shift/week ship. It was a nice place, though. Nice coworkers. The university tests (nose swab) all students living on campus, but I bet there are plenty of symptomatic people going to restaurants, school, work, etc.

Linda Sue, I remember the Coppertone girl with the white butt! My "archives" didn't go back quite that far!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Wow you're busy. When I saw your header about trying to give up smoking I gasped. How can she be such an athlete and mountain bike and smoke cigarettes? Whew. I like the bandito. You look like you may rob a stage coach. :-)

Abby said...

Peggy, at least this kind of smoking is anything but addicting. The bandito bandana is growing on me. I feel like Speedy Gonzales. Andale!

Morgan Cartwright said...

Yay for new part time adventures!

I've found ridiculously old things in my house and I wonder how they last that long and why the heck I keep buying new of it!

Abby said...

Morgan, I think I will next consolidate my spiral notebook collection :/

Larz said...

I've been rocking the bandana style as well. Got to coordinate it with my outfit and all.

Abby said...

Larz, face coverings are the new fashion statement.