Pages

Friday, August 28, 2020

changing

 It's a nice building... from the outside.  

The hiring manager seems friendly and competent... although I likely wouldn't be able to pick her out from a lineup.

The facilities and equipment necessary for the job... sound fine

I mentioned that I recently accepted a culinary job offer at a rehabilitation facility to replace my greatly-reduced-hours culinary job at the hospital.  Although I went there for the interview and some followup, I've yet to set foot inside the place.  Hiring practices have changed.

My interview was outside under a patio umbrella.  The manager, whom I texted to let her know I'd arrived, and I both wore masks the whole time.  There was no tour.  I saw no one working.  A handful of residents were outside with visitors.  If asked for a physical description of the manager, about all I can say is she has dark hair and is maybe an inch or two taller than me.

Around the same time I applied for this job, I applied for another that sounded promising.  Once the application window closed, they informed me that I had cleared the first hurdle, then nothing but crickets for nearly three weeks.  I knew they hadn't canned my application because they would have informed me of that too.

Yesterday, they finally emailed that I'd cleared the second hurdle, and about a minute after that, the email that I'd cleared the third.  They want to interview me, but I've already accepted the other offer.  I had a feeling that would happen.

Note that neither of these jobs is high stakes, high falutin', high anything really.  My college degrees don't mean a whole lot in this realm.  So I guess I've changed too.

But in my current "season",  I'm pretty sure I would enjoy either, be appreciated, maintain a nice work-life balance, while generating some income.  Yes, that's my current season.


I did do a bit of nerdy decision analysis when realizing the second place might still call after the first offered me the job.  

I ranked each of five criteria on a scale of 1 to 5 for each job, applied the importance-to-me factor, then summed up the scores.  


According to the nerdliness, the rehab place "won" by 3 points.  Not the best for pay, but feels more secure during these questionable Covid times.  And the commute?  It's like a mile and a half from my house.  And really, as I revisit this, the pay differential isn't that great.

Feels like the right decision... Since I'm beyond "Trophy Wife" season, and mostly skipped it altogether anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
4. Write a blog post inspired by the word: changed.




6 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

trophy wife season? - I think I missed that!
I know once I retire from this crap I will probably find work doing nothing with my degree either. I can't fathom just sitting all day. Something hopefully I like and get paid to do. Heaven knows I can't retire and live on SS or the money in the bank. That world is long gone for me now. :-(

Abby said...

Peggy, that's my thing too. I need to feel productive, and it's nice to make a little mad money. I've still got the tutoring, but the reduced hours and furlough at the hosp. drove me a bit stir crazy.
Social Security? What's that?

John Holton said...

Good luck with the new job. There's definitely the possibility that the second place calls after you've started working at the first. You might want to revisit the spreadsheet and see if the firt job is worth the 72 points, or if you need to adjust it. You wouldn't be the first person to leave a job after only being there seveal weeks...

Abby said...

John, seems like good advice. I haven't ruled out the other place, especially since I've never seen the first place other than on paper.

Madamdreamweaver said...

Sounds good to me! Close to home is a huge plus.

Abby said...

MDW, I do love the fact that it's "right over there"