Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2020

when the go gos don't

The year was 1980-blah blah something.  My friend Ron and I had tickets to see the Go Gos live at the state fair.  The concert was outside, late afternoon/ evening, and we made our way to  the front.  We were in the PIT, with all our 80's big hair cohorts!

Red Rockers were the opening band, and they put on a good show.  They wrapped up and we awaited the Go Gos.  Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan, but Ron was, and I felt they would put on a fun concert, and we were SO CLOSE!

As we waited, it got a bit breezy.  Then it got full on windy, gusty even.  A few raindrops began to fall.  Then, lots more.  Lots lots more.  It began to epicly pour.  I seem to recall an announcement over the din of the storm that the concert would be delayed.

We waited in the rain, not wanting to give up our perfect location.  Eventually, people began to filter away to shelter.  Ron and I followed and waited in the grandstand.  From there, we could see what a mess the storm continued to make of the field/ mud bog.  After several minutes, the announcement came the the concert was canceled.  The electronics for the show weren't a good mix for all that water.

Ron and I walked back to the car soaked, muddied, shivered, and dejected from the concert that wasn't.  Did we ever get reimbursed?  I don't remember, I just wanted to see the Go Go's.  It's like a page is now missing from my history book.  I understand the Go Go's are still performing live concerts, but I prefer the see the 80's version.  Now would be a good time for a time-traveled Go Go's Vacation from the pandemic



And since we're going back in time, another artist I never saw in concert but would've liked to in the 80's is Michael Jackson.  Yeah, he got weird toward the end, and there are questionable accusations about  him and young kids... But he knew how to put on a show, and he was peaking in the 80's when I was in college and broke.  Maybe I'll learn to moonwalk during the pandemic?



And honestly, I haven't been to a live concert in so long.  Raising kids, paying college tuition, etc. put concert-going in the backseat.  More like in the trunk, really.  Now live concerts are postponed until...?

Last summer, Meego went to see John Bellion in concert, and I was all, "GASP, I love that song of his!"  Honestly, I didn't know of any other of his work at the time, but loved the one hit.  Not surprisingly, Meego said it was a great show and that JB really connected with the audience.


Another artist I would love to see live is Machine Gun Kelly, because I find him talented and strangely adorable, and I bet he puts on a good live show.  He was in Denver last year.  I missed it.  Those near-to-tears girls singing along in the audience?  Yeah, that's me on the inside.




On the outside, yes, I'm old enough to be his mom.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
2. List the top 5 musicians you would see in concert.

I know I listed just 4, and I'm not sure that they'd be the "top", but it's who came to mind on the fly, OKAY!





8 comments:

Mr. Shife said...

The Go-Gos and the Bangles were favorites of mine mostly because I was a teenage boy during their heyday and they weren't hard on the eyes. I have only heard of Machine Gun Kelly because of his romance with Megan Fox but it sounds like he makes some good music. During this pandemic, I have discovered some new artists that I really like and think would be excellent live. Here's my list in no particular order: Jason Isbell, The Pretty Reckless, Halestorm, Brian Fallon and American Aquarium.

Linda Sue said...

the title is hilarious, and memorable. Love the story of the perfect evening with the no go's.

LL Cool Joe said...

I saw Michael Jackson live during his Bad tour and he was amazing. At about the same time I saw Madonna on her Blonde Ambition tour and I have to say she was brilliant too.

The first time I saw Eminem it rained non stop. I remember 2 things - my hair getting curlier and curlier and that Em put towels on the ground so he wouldn't slip over.

I love MGK's relationship with his daughter.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

This is where we are 180 degrees different. I don't care for the go-gos or madonna or anyone from that time frame in pop. I know of nothing Machine Gun Kelly does. I was a decade older so madonna and the go-go's to me were lightweight silly pop like in the 70s yummy yummy yummy I got love in my tummy. Yea, lite like that. I am not an MJ fan either. no, no, no, except for billy jean and Eddie Van Halen's guitar riff in it, not for me. I am old and I am now going to go rot in the corner. :-)

John Holton said...

Getting stuck in the rain is what going to outdoor concerts is all about...

Paula Kiger said...

This is a fun list! I'm not sure what I would have said (one of the reasons I didn't do this prompt) but anywhere with other people (safely), an instrument and a song would be good right about now.

Patty said...

Love your taste in music and admire all the concerts you've been to!

Seems most of us have put a lot of what we once enjoyed in that backseat as we work our way through life. But, the memories...are priceless!

Stay safe!

Kim@StormsAndStardust said...

TOTALLY with you on Machine Gun Kelly. LOVE HIM. My son actually got to meet him a few years ago, so I am living vicariously through him. I proudly stan MGK on Instagram, even though I am also old enough to be his mother.

I am so sorry your GoGos concert never panned out. I never saw them, either. I don't remember them touring when I was able to start going to concerts, but I'm pretty sure they did.

Kim