Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

somebody that I used to know

On Sunday, Magnum and I went in search of a portable evaporative cooler - those one-room coolers that work well in dry climates with a fan using the hot air to evaporate cold water.  We didn't find one we liked, but at least we spent time in nice air conditioned stores while looking.

Fact is, we have one already.  We were just feeling hot and lazy and thinking we'd get a second so as to not "have to" move the other one around.  In the end, I'm glad we didn't buy anything.  I think know I'm just feeling stir crazy.

I'm scheduled to work one day this week (yesterday, so it already happened) at the hospital job and one day next week.  I'd like to work more, but I'm happy to still be on the schedule at all.  The job for which I was initially hired was essentially eliminated by COVID restrictions, but the managers include me in the jack-of-all-trades rotation, usually two days a week.  So for that, I'm grateful and know that I could be let go or long-term furloughed if push comes to shove.

When I arrived at work yesterday, there was a little robo-mower doing its thing and making me wonder how many of us could be replaced with automation if not eliminated altogether.  Weren't there recently human landscapers out there?



Lucky for us, it wouldn't be a big financial hardship if this job went bust. But the job is a nice little side gig to balance out my other side gig and keep the stir-crazies at bay.  So here I am looking at nine days off in a row, wanting to plan some productivity or at least a bit of adventure.


Cheaply.

At least I've got some upcoming dental work to look forward to? Maybe I'll do some online learning, take on a new skill set.

Like proper care of robots.


4 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

OH Abby I laughed at "at least I have upcoming dental work to look forward to. OMG that is a sad state of affairs that our dental appointments get us that happy. :-) (i have one too)
That grass cutter looks like an outdoor roomba.

Abby said...

Peggy, have fun at the dentist!
And the robo-mower is just like a roomba, only for grass. It even has a little pad it parks on when it's finished. So cute and (so far) doesn't complain.

ShadowRun300 said...

I Remember my days of being scheduled only a few times a week, and I’d get so bored! I didn’t like it at all. Baking helped that. :)
Now I rarely get any time off. Oh have the tides have changed.
You’re always good about making the best of a situation though - and I’m quite sure you’ll figure out how to use this time to better yourself.
And hopefully before we know it, things will be back to normal! 🤞🤞

Abby said...

SR300, yes, the tides have a-changed! So far I'm managing and have some ideas for the next few days. Phase one dentistry is done at least...