Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

welcome to the club, Travis

It was as if the world had stopped in that moment.  I went from enjoying a lovely morning like most others to suddenly becoming aware of my mortality. Was this really how my life was going to end?

The beast charged me with a focus I can't put into words.  I hardly had any time to react, and he was on me, plunging his teeth and squeezing his vice-like jaws of death into my flesh.

As the blood drained from my body, Good-bye... good-bye... I'll miss you all...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I survived.  Miraculously.  My will to survive was stronger than anything that ferocious beast had for me.  Yes, I am one of those rare people who've been attacked by a wild ferocious animal and lived to tell about it...

...like Travis Kauffman, that guy who killed a mountain lion with his bare hands while out trail running a few weeks ago.  I think his story made national news, but it was pretty big around here.  Like many others, I found myself imagining what that must have been like.  Like many others, I like to spend time traipsing around in the boonies.  Like many others, I've been in the area where the incident happened.

But hey, I don't have to just use my imagination.  The exact same thing happened to me!  I blogged about it, even!  Right [HERE]!

And yet, no news outlets wanted to hear my account.  No memes were made about me.


SOURCE


Fine. I don't want the attention anyway.  But I just thought I'd post this reminder to myself.




Wilderness /suburbs, mountain lion / Lhasa Apso .  It's all pretty much the exact same thing, right?



9 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

well, nothing worse than a ragamuffin attack!
However did the news media miss this event?
Thankfully you didn't strangled the ragamuffin as he did his attacker. :-)

Annsterw said...

Oh Abby...I am so happy that you did not strangle that yippy little dog! That is what would have made headlines and you are far to sweet to do that! Yours is a case of an irresponsible owner and not nature...that little yipper should have never been allowed anywhere near you! I have neighbors with dogs like that one and they leave them off the lease all the time! They bark like they are going to eat me WHOLE!!! HA! You still have time...call the news and get it out there! Unrestrained yippers are just as dangerous as mountain lions! You are awesome Abby in the fact that you showed restraint and did not strangle it! HA!

LL Cool Joe said...

I think I would have strangled him. Just saying. Ouch that sounds bad.

Chatty Crone said...

I don't know what I would do and I missed that article. Was that the first time something ever happened like that - YIKES and WOW all into one. sandie

ShadowRun300 said...

Yes. Very similar stories. Not sure how the media let yours slip through the cracks.
But how scary!! And to think it could have been you - although I have no doubt you could have taken that mountain lion too. 💪

Abby said...

Margaret, I think you're right. If I'd have killed the ragamuffin with my bare hands, then I might've gotten a news mention. Next time!

Ann, after the "attack", I did a bit of research on the most vicious dog breeds. The little yippers make up the top of the list!

Joey, you could've strangled him. You could've gotten a meme!

Chatty, it is pretty scary. Like the guy said, since the mountain lion was not yet a full adult, he was worried about the Mama being nearby. If she'd have shown up, he'd been a goner!

SR300, I know there are mountain lions "around", just like the coyotes I hear yipping away in the wee hours. But they're supposed to all be afraid of humans. What was up with this one?!


Morgan Cartwright said...

Little dog attacks! Grrrr! Those little yippy creatures are the worse!!
I was wondering why the Mountain Lion would actually attack a human also. Did something provoke the attack? I'm glad he is safe...but I always question. Wild animals almost always want nothing to do with humans.

Abby said...

Morgan, yeah, it's strange. It attacked the runner from behind, and some are thinking that the cat was just young and naive and chasing a running thing on instinct.

Linda Hensley said...

The sweetest old lady used to live across the street from me, but she had a *)&$#(% chihauhau who tried to bite me every time I talked to her. And yes, he did draw blood once in a while. Seems like justifiable homicide, but I didn't kill the varmint either. Glad you survived!