Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

to have something to do

Welp, it happened again. I've [mentioned before] about how I strangely come across pocket sharp things while out walking around. This was the collection, with household object for scale:

On Sunday, Magnum and I were walking down our street, minding our own business when, yet again, another sharp thing jumped out at me.

I guess they don't really jump, but my eyes are somehow drawn right to them.

People speak of finding pennies, golf balls, toys, etc. while out walking around. For whatever reason, I mainly find these pocket knives. 


Here's the latest to join the collection.

I certainly don't need any more. In fact, I think I've donated most of them since, surprisingly, they've all been in good condition.

This one is sort of an outlier because of it's red plastic housing. I figured out that the notch in the blade is a bottle opener. It doesn't seem quite as robust as the others in my "collection" - like maybe it was a freebie promotional thing.

I feel I should pick them up and remove them from the wild so some child doesn't come across one and end up slashing themselves or others. But now what? Anyone have a bottle needs opening?

On Sunday, we got together with Wolfgang and Meego to celebrate Meego's birthday. I don't want a fuss on Mother's Day, but Meego was actually born on Mother's Day - speaking of fuss. So we often celebrate his birthday on the weekend nearest, which is often Mother's Day.

Considering that, plus it being CSU graduation weekend, we avoided the potentially busy places and times. We went out for oh so good Mexican food late lunch. Seriously, I'm still thinking fondly of those chicken enchiladas. Always nice to hang out and catch up with those guys, and I also talked with Chaco on the phone. So a good Not-Mother's Day.

My work has slowed since I'm tutee-less until summer semester begins in a couple of weeks. I will indulge in some errand running today since it's a full day off. 

Who knows, maybe I'll find another knife.


8 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Wow what a bizarre thing to find let alone over and over again. Hmm....

Allstarme79 said...

It's funny you mention that; I was out on a landing here at work, talking to my mom, and I saw a pocket knife on a planter. In hindsight, I should have told security, since I work at a government building, but I was distracted.

Abby said...

Peggy, yep. I don't know what the universe is trying to tell me.

Allstarme79, I find them in such random places, but yeah, a gov't building is a bit suss.

Herb said...

My wife always finds tools. Not really useful ones that an average person would use but specialized ones. the pawnshop doesn't give much for stuff like that, though. Happy belated not-mother's day.

Abby said...

Herb, there are worse things to find. I've got enough knives, though.

Liz Hinds said...

How very strange! I have never found a knife.

Abby said...

Liz, I guess I've been hogging them all.

LY said...

That's quite a collection! I have found a couple of knives hiking/walking about too. Mostly rural when I was growing up. It's a strange thing to just lose.