Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2024

need gas?

 I've been thinking that I want a new toy. A tablet. A tablet that I can draw directly upon. I justify it by saying how handy it would be for tutoring and for P.E.O, which it totally would, but I really want to play (a.k.a. draw) on it.


And then I'd have to learn to use all the tools for digital drawing. For now, I can only do cartoony things. I do have a tablet that is separate from my screen that is great for online tutoring, and I can use it to play draw. So I did this a little while ago.

Know this guy? Do ya?

Magnum and I made it to the ridiculous gas station that is Buc ee's on Friday. 

I mean, he needed some gas, so why not?



We knew ahead of time that it was huge - 74,000 square feet of convenience store. 116 gas pumps.

A large portion of the pumps were strangely occupied when we arrived. The novelty is still wearing off a bit since this Buc ee's opened about a month ago. Just across the road sits a standard Loaf 'n' Jug. It looked like a Lego® replica in its juxtaposition with Buc ee's.

Then we parked the car and headed to the store, glancing back frequently as we're taught when hiking in an unknown area of the woods. Look backwards often so you know what your return trip should look like, to prevent getting lost in the vast wilderness. It applies in the Buc ee's parking lot.

There were plenty of people there, but the store was so huge, it was easy to walk around. We were instantly struck with the smell of barbecued flesh as there was a LOT of food being freshly made. In addition to all that, there were rows and rows of typical convenience store fare - snack bag stuff, a whole wall of jerky...

So I wasn't too shocked at any of this as I'd heard stories of the Buc ee's experience. What I wasn't prepared for, however, was... the restroom.

I'd heard they had "the cleanest restrooms", but by gas station standards, that's difficulto get too excited about. But Buc ee's outdoes them all by miles!

The bathroom was huge and sparkly clean. You could throw a high school prom in there. And the stalls, omg the stalls - each with its own nearly floor-to-ceiling heavy door with Schlage indicator lock. Inside was plenty of TP, and a private hand sanitizer dispenser. Super bright and cheery because of the individual skylight.

It was quite ridonkulous.

So now I've had the Buc ee's experience. Apprently the chain has a nearly cult following, I mean...

SOURCE

We didn't try the barbecue or the "Buc ee nuggets", as we were fresh from lunch. No tattoos are planned either.


We did bring home a so soft plush blanket, though. 

The cat promptly let us know that we got it for him.




13 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

I love a good public convenience!

The Happy Whisk said...

I highly recommend a tablet that the screen can be drawn on. I love mine! Brad on Youtube, if you're looking can walk you through what tablet might be best and programs. Trying to think of his last name. Cowbell? I'm not sure. You can email me if interested and I'll send you the link to his channel. Or try Brad drawing on tablets. Best drawing tablets of 2024 or 2023. Something like that. He should come right up.

Abby said...

Liz, Bucee's is an experience! If you ever find yourself in one, make sure to visit the restroom :)

Happy Whisk, thanks for the tip! I searched "Brad Cowbell" on youtube, and it took me right to him - Brad Colbow - lol. Youtube knew what you meant!

The Happy Whisk said...

Anytime. I love being able to draw on screen and upload anywhere. I'm a Samsung gal. However he shares lots of other options. I also write on a Remarkable2 and I love that thing too. And, and, and, I love all my EMR pens/pencils. The German-made one I draw with has an eraser at the end. So easy and fun!

Boud said...

I think someone once wrote a guidebook to restrooms of New York. Maybe a guidebook called Further Afield is needed, to include this amazing place.

Abby said...

Boud, I have since learned that Bucee bathrooms are "award winning".
Who knew there were such awards?
I'd say Bucee's deserves its spot on the podium.

The Happy Whisk said...

I think I'm back in spam jail. Here's to a fun new week.

Allstarme79 said...

LOL yes, the Buc-ees is a huge cult. I mean, down here, our closest one is 3 hours in either direction but people go nuts for them. I will stop at one whenever it's convenient JUST for the bathrooms. Apparently Wa-wa - not as huge - also has a cult following and we are about to get a couple so, I will report back.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

There is one projected to beging building around these parts and it has everyone in tizzy. Either for it or against it. I'd go just for the novelty of it all. I do like seared flesh as you say but otherwise I can't imagine why I'd go unless gas was remarkable cheaper. Only time I eat jerky is on a road trip.

Abby said...

Happy Whisk, yep, you rebel you. It's okay, I can keep bailing you out.

Allstarme79, it's funny what people latch onto. Yes, report back on Wa-wa when it happens!

Peggy, that's why we "had to" go - the novelty. It did bring a lot of jobs to the area. I learned that Bucee's general managers can make over 200K.

Herb said...

When we went to Texas we went to Bucee's and it was just as you describe. We haven't gotten to the one in Colorado yet, though. The barbecue really is as good as all that, too.

Abby said...

Hi Herb! I've heard good things about the barbecue.

The Happy Whisk said...

Thank you! I don't know it's because I'm on the tablet or not?