Pages

Friday, April 12, 2024

missives

"Me and S send our deepest apologies.  We have other circumstances that prevents us from attending the tutoring session..."

 - a last minute cancel text I received from a tutee this week. It's so... formal.

If not for the grammatical errors - "Me and S" *cringe*; "...circumstances that prevents..." *frown* - I would highly suspect he asked ChatGPT or similar to write the text for him. It's what all the kids are doing these days, right?

This particular tutee is young, intelligent, and personable, but his texts are so formal. Deepest apologies? Circumstances?

Anyway, it was another busy week, and I am now basking in un-busyness. The only scheduled thing I have today is an annual well-woman check later this morning. Coworker Star is back from her worldly travels, so my Fridays are free once again, for now.

I was at work on Monday during the eclipse. We had just a little over 50% of totality here, so no biggie. The campus observatory had their filtered telescopes available, but the line was very long, so I skipped. At least the campus had a large stash of eclipse glasses, and Work Study grabbed a pair we all took turns with.

So I popped out and oohed and aahed a bit with the cardboard glasses, then went back to work. Wolfgang had road tripped to Texas with some friends to see the totality, so after work, I fed his cat. That sums up my 2024 eclipse experience.

Apparently the next eclipse to cross the U.S. will be in 2045. Its path will go right over Colorado. If I'm still alive and in Colorado at that time, maybe I'll have my nurse wake me from my nap.

And speaking of nurses, this week, we got the sweetest gift at work from one of the nursing students. 

We provide testing for several nursing students each semester.  And nursing students take a LOT of tests - sometimes 2 or 3 a week. So we get to know them quite well over the two year program and vice versa. 


They're often understandably giddy and thankful around graduation - "might not see you again... unless you're in the hospital?"

This week, one particularly pleasant student dropped off a box of donuts along with the sweetest thank-you note, even mentioning Boss, Sarge, and me by name. 

It prompted quite the onion-cutting fest, it did. 


And, the donuts? No grocery store donuts. They were from Lamar's

"He went to Lamar's" is the donut equivalent to "He went to Jared"


9 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Nurse and doughnuts. Health and not health.Nice gesture though. I hesitate to bake anything anymore , family so carb conscious.
You are dong good in this world! The help that you give will never be forgotten. PEO to the core!

John Holton said...

Very thoughtful of her!

Boud said...

Great to feel appreciated like that! Me and I think so!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, I think job security is pretty strong in the nursing field, but doesn't hurt to cover the bases, I suppose.

John, yes, very! And this nurse is actually a guy.

Boud, Me thinks so too!

The Happy Whisk said...

Doughnuts sound fun. Those texts sound odd.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

It is so nice to be appreciated, no matter how it comes about. Donuts, letter, etc. A neighbor brought cookies over to my house after Rick's stroke. She apologized as she handed them to me and said, I know this is a dumb gesture but I didnt know what to do. We hardly know her. I thanked her purfusly and told her it was not dumb!I can't eat cookies and Rick was hardly eating. She didn't need to know. It's the thought that counts!

Liz Hinds said...

What a lovely message and thing to do. I don't know Lamar's or jared but assume they're quality goods!

Liz Hinds said...

Just clicked on the link. Now I want a Lamar's doughnut.

Jeanette said...

Donuts and a sweet note. Can't get much better than that!