Pages

Friday, April 5, 2024

barometers and babies

Going in to work in a couple of hours. I think this is the last Friday afternoon that I'm covering for coworker Star as she vacations around the globe. Or maybe I've got one more cover, I don't remember at the moment, but I'll be there today. 

A little weekly recap:

  • I was zoom tutoring yesterday with a student who attends one of our other campuses. Student lives near my brother, Hagrid, and we were talking about the incoming weather warnings. This weekend is set to be windy and low humidity - a bad combination because it raises the fire danger.

So I asked Student how he fared a couple of years ago in that very scary Marshall Fire - the one that [burned Hagrid's house down].

Well, Student didn't lose his house, but his wife went into labor at just 8 months pregnant. AND, the hospital they were sent to actually was the one that had to be evacuated because of the approaching fire, AND the second hospital they went to was nearly out of beds because of all the birthing women. He said it was because of the pressure drop.

The windstorm that whipped up the fire was the precurser to a significant snowstorm, so the barometric pressure dropped suddenly. After a quick google search, I learned this may affect pregnancies (makes me wonder about other mammals) and send women into labor. Studies are "inconclusive", however. Like full moons making people crazy(er) - mostly anecdotal "evidence"  from nurses saying it's so. Who knew?

  • Anyone watching the NCAA tournaments? I've never really paid attention to March Madness, but who can escape the hype around Caitlin Clark and Iowa?

I've not watched any of the games or even highlights, just sort of following along. She has certainly put womens college basketball on the map. But what to do with that basketball talent as a woman? I'm sure she'll be a force in the WNBA and get lots of endorsements, but how big of a following has the WNBA?

I have no clue, or interest, as to what's happening in the men's bracket.


There it is - work, weather, and sports. How's that for standard avoidance chit chat? 

I will mention that my 91-year-old stepfather-in-law is likely in his last few hours unless he's already passed away and I just haven't received word yet. He's become quite frail in recent months and took a significant turn for the worse earlier this week. 

Magnum is in Colorado Springs - where his mom and stepdad live - for work today and sure to be checking in with his mom.


3 comments:

John Holton said...

I'm not watching any sports, least of all either NCAA tournament. The Braves are playing their home opener this evening, and I'll probably listen.

I don't know anyone who cares about the WNBA. Sad, but them's the facts.

Sorry to hear about your stepfather-in-law.

Abby said...

John, that's what I'm thinking about C. Clark. What's that skill worth?

The Happy Whisk said...

I don't know who Clark is? I asked Hubby. Sorry to read about your step-father-in-law.