Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2024

break the silence

Hello, blog. It's been a minute!

This week got a bit busy, what with filling in at work for the vacationing Star and doing a bit of cat sitting. But all good. I am going to rant here for a bit about the two high school tutees I have because they BOTH stood me up this week... sort of.

Monday afternoon was the Alison Moyet look-alike. Ten minutes into our scheduled appointment, the mom texted me that they weren't coming - a last minute "unworkable" thing had come up. I appreciated the text, and yes, she paid the late cancellation fee.

Then yesterday morning, high schooler #2: "Omigosh, I totally forgot!" when I texted to let her know which study room we had at the library. She dragged herself in about 20 mins. late.

I get it. They're young. They're busy - theater, tennis, schoolwork, blah blah. But sheesh, THEY called me! I even agreed to meet each of them outside my usual tuting hours to accommodate the busy schedules. 

*EXHALE* Okay, rant over. And I'll add that the college tutees I have this semester are all delightful, so it balances. We still have no word on the replacement - if there even is to be one - for our recently exited tutor boss. She did mention, before she left, that much of the process of matching students with tutors will become automated, so maybe her job was being phased out, hence her jumping ship for supposedly greener pastures.

One of my students is leaving next week to witness the full solar eclipse in Texas. She conveniently has a sister in San Antonio. Not gonna lie, I've got a bit of FOMO around seeing this coming full eclipse after [witnessing the last one] in the U.S. in 2017. Really, a stunning phenomenon to see.

But alas, not this time.

As consolation, maybe Magnum and I will do the next best thing. A brand new [Buc ee's] gas station (for lack of a better term) has opened just down the road from us.  74,000 square feet, 116 gas pumps...


It calls for a field trip, and I'm not even close to needing gas. 


10 comments:

John Holton said...

116 gas pumps? Wow!

Abby said...

John, yep, it's kinda ridiculous. It just opened a couple of weeks ago, so we're waiting for the crowds to die down - which may take "a while".

Linda Sue said...

We watched the video for Bucees last week, Insane! Even if I was in the neighborhood I think I might skip on going in. Typical over the top destination place selling all sorts of shite that no one needs, really, and I will bet you a nickle that most of their merch is from china.Beaver nuggets, hmmmm....a beaver trucker's hat? I don't know, is it our thang?

I hate that you got stood up- that is not acceptable- your time is more valuable!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, I bet you're right. My Bucee's field trip, whenever it happens, will likely be for observation purposes. I can't think of anything I'd actually want to purchase there.
The stood-ups very rarely happen, so to get two in one week was super annoying!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I hear so much about Bucees. What's the big deal besides its big? Gas Station food?
It's extremely annoying to me when people are late. Then not calling.yikes! Watch my head explode!

Allstarme79 said...

Bucees is truly an experience so, totally a field trip worth taking. If you eat meat, be sure to get the brisket.

Abby said...

Peggy, I guess Bucees is just so BIG with apparently good (gas station) food and super clean bathrooms?

Allstarme79, I've heard good things about the brisket... and the Bucee nuggets.

Liz Hinds said...

116 pumps?! Holey moley!

Still trying to work out what FOMO means.

Abby said...

Liz, I'm picturing the ocean of gasoline sitting under Bucee's.
FOMO = fear of missing out 😔

The Happy Whisk said...

People are weird about time and coming late. It's weird to me how some folks get with that. Glad she paid the fees. That's fair.