Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2024

pow, right in the...

College is closed, having us a snow day, although there's not a whole lot of snow out there at the moment. Tomorrow is already a "remote operations" day, which in my case means simply another day of no testing center.



I do have a couple of tutees to zoom with later, so not a total day of langor. It IS Pi Day, afterall. I've showered. 



And we have a few signs of spring already. I snapped this pic a few days ago along the creek path.



So, yesterday morning I was at the gym and doing some of my PT exercises. Now, I'd gone to the PT originally because of a fritzed foot, and the foot feels fine now. But the issue exposed hip weakness as the likely cause.

I say weakness, and "Dr. J" countered with opportunites

"I'm a tutor, I play those same word games", I made known. 

Dr. J is a super nice guy and knowledgeable physician, quick to establish rapport. I've learned lots from him and am glad of my decision to give PT a try.

One area we've been working is my TFL muscle, which I'd never known of before. If one is wearing a pair of girl jeans with teeny girl pockets, and puts the finger tips in the teeny pocket, their fingers are on or very close to the TFL. 

I had dry needling in the TFL at my last appointment, and Dr. J was very keen on how that might be an emotionally/mentally sensitive area for him to be accessing - getting my reassurance, letting me tuck the drape into my elastic waist band, etc. - before him going in

Seriously, I had no qualms. He's a doctor, plus I knew from other dry needling sessions on other areas that this would be helpful, and it was.

So yesterday, I was at the gym, working on my opportunities, and I guess I stood up weird or something and felt a little *tweak* right near the pubic bone, right in the cooch.

It was at that point I wished I had a female PT. Although I'm sure the structure of whatever I'd tweaked is present in both men and women, how to phrase it if I asked Dr. J about it?

"... right in the vag/ cooch/ cha cha/ girly bits/ etc..."

Thankfully, it improved as the day wore on, and I've no more sensation of "it". But this is the main reason I typically prefer a female doctor. My PCP is female, and I have an annual checkup coming up shortly.

We'll probably talk briefly of "sensitive" topics - like allergies and stuff - before moving on to her updating me on her kids.


7 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Preference for female everything ! I had a female mechanic one time and I trusted her more than her counterpart.
TIP: nothing hurts if you do not move...just sayin'

John Holton said...

Love the graphic with pie and pi!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I'm with you I prefer female everything.
I have a female primary too. So does Rick. (same person) We both went to a female in VA too.
Hubby honestly feels that his female doctors listen to him whereas the men will hear a couple of words and they have made a diagnosis already and do not LISTEN. When he told me that I said, "Oh yes, I get this!" Sad honestly.

Glad you're feeling better though

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

p.s. snow day? It's 81 here today - I will gladly trade you!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, yeah, it's this moving business!
I wish I knew a good female mechanic.

John, interesting when pi shows up "in the wild"!

Peggy, the place selected Dr. J for me as he specializes in running injury rehab. There are women PTs there, but I figured, "ah, it's my foot. No worries" Pffffffft🤔
EIGHTY-ONE? Nope, not ready. Gonna go shovel now.

Liz Hinds said...

I need to find the opportunities my bad back offers me! Fortunately it's only been since yesterday but I'm fed up already.
I don't find anything embarrassing any more, not when it comes to talking to doctors. However that tweak does sound just a tad awkward to explain.

Abby said...

Liz, sorry about your back troubles! And yup, nothing is too embarrassing at this stage. I'm wondering about the "opening phrase" on this one, however.