Pages

Friday, March 22, 2024

locking down

Wednesday, I was working with a tutee when a lockdown drill anouncement came from the PA. My student, another student who happened to be nearby, and I were shuttled into a smallish "interior, no windows, no lights" office. I learned it was one of the spaces Disabilities Services uses to evaluate and work with accommodated students.

As such we had a variety of options for seating: a modified chair that incorporated a big exercise ball, another with a fidget seat kind of thing, a beanbag that reminded me of the 70s, and a regular 4-legged chair. 

The whole drill lasted maybe 10 minutes tops. But sitting there in the dark with those two - me on the boring regular chair, my student in the beanbag, the other student on the exercise ball - it turned into sort of a therapy session.

My student, S, had made known to me, at the start of our session, that he'd "lost his motivation" a couple of weeks ago after I asked him how his spring break (last week) was. He did have a rather defeated demeanor about him. In the dark lockdown drill room, he continued to spill about his anxieties and frustrations about keeping up with everything. 


He's a super nice and hardworking student, so naturally, I felt bad for him. I'm just his math tutor, so I can mostly hope to alleviate his math stress. 

The other student with us was a girl I know from the testing center because she takes her tests with us. It was nice having her there, because she could commiserate with S on the college/ young adult  anxiety bits and offer some strategies that work for her. 



I found myself in a sort of impromptu facilitator mode. I have no formal training, I'm just there to do math stuff.

At the same time, though, I was happy that S felt comfortable being so honest.

On a related note, my tutor boss is leaving the college for greener pastures. She's taken a similar position at another community college nearby. In fact, ever since our change in leadership a couple years ago, a lot of our staff has jumped to that other ship. 

She assures us that her replacement will be announced soon, and today is her last day at the helm with us. 

Personally, I have no plans to join the exodus. I've perused the job openings at the other college out of nosiness, and they do pay better. But it would make for a not-so-nice commute for me, and my current commute is the bomb.


12 comments:

John Holton said...

Sometimes people just need to talk, and someone needs to listen. It was good that he started talking, and he must have felt comfortable talking to you. Those are all good things.

Linda Sue said...

The room - what an opportunity! No choice . I feel so much empathy for that kid- I never cared enough to have anxiety- I just gave up,especially with math. I admire that kid.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Sometimes you just have to weigh the options, a commute is a big deal.
I am certain that young person just needed to put it out there to someone or the ether. I bet he felt better even if not a resolution. That wasn't easy I am sure. Good for him, a start. Now get to a counselor maybe that your school has to talk more.

Abby said...

John, I actually knew that the drill was coming, and at first, was thinking "how inconvenient - right in the middle of our tutoring time", but I think it was a good thing in the end.

Linda Sue, these college kids seem different from "back in my day" (old folks phrase) - more sensitive and quick to anxiety in general, and I feel for them. I wanted to do well in my classes, but if I didn't, no biggie.

Peggy, at the current "season" of my life, the work commute is a big factor. The school does have a good counseling department - headed by another bicycle commuter :)

Liz Hinds said...

What a great unexpected opportunity. I bet he felt better afterwards

The Happy Whisk said...

I get that for sure. If the drive in works well for you, why pay more to drive more? Then I wonder if the more time spent driving is worth the more money or not. I guess it all depends. I totally get your side and would likely do the same.

Nice that your student was able to talk openly.

Allstarme79 said...

Commute matters; when I left Big University for Community College, mine got longer but it was by interstate so it was somewhat better. But they paid more and I liked the students better.

Abby said...

Liz, let's hope!

Allstarme79, actually, we have several staffers who work at both colleges, which is an option for me as well. But I've got enough to do at one for now - saves me the drive :). Interesting that you liked the CC students better. I can understand that.

Abby said...

Happy Whisk, I'm a part-timer, so I *could* work at both places or some place else altogether. Commute matters :)

ShadowRun300 said...

Hi Abby - stopping by to say hello. Always fun to catch up with you - see your drawings, hear about your students, read about your snow (no thanks!). Glad to hear things seem to be going pretty well for ya. Be back soon!

Abby said...

ShadowRun300, hey you! Nice to hear from ya, thanks for stopping by!!

The Happy Whisk said...

I agree, commute matters. As we house hunt, the drive in to work is something we consider.