Pages

Sunday, February 18, 2024

cows and foodies

I have a super foggy, super vague memory of meeting Elsie the cow "in-person". Anyone familiar with Elsie? She was the real-life cow mascot of Borden dairy back in the day. Apparently, she toured.

I seem to have been enamored with Elsie at a very young age, and I'm not sure if the enamoredness happened before I met her or after. So I can't say how it began, but I do know I had an Elsie the cow plush toy for a number of years - probably a souvenir from our fateful meeting. God only knows what became of that plush toy. I just remember she MOOO-ed when tipped. Cow tipping, ha!

*On a side note, cow-tipping is not a real thing. I think I blogged about my failed attempt at it previously...*



Anyway, my bff Elsie is likely the reason I stopped eating beef several years ago. This week, I finally got 'round to trying rice "milk" as a substitute for cow's milk, and by George, I can do it. Now... about that cheese...

Somewhat related, we got around to watching "The Menu" this weekend. Seen it? I enjoyed it, i.e. I didn't fall asleep.

It makes fun of prententious "foodies". I confess to enjoy watching behind-the-scenes videos of fancy pants restaurants I will likely never visit, and that interest is more from my days as a kitchen worker myself - one of the "shit shovelers" (reference from the movie), rather than a patron. "The Menu" clearly makes the we-vs.-them distinction.


I thought the movie was well done and well cast. Can Anya Taylor-Joy act badly in any role?

So, that's about it for this week's accomplishments: I scored a minor win in fighting my bovine oppression and stayed awake throughout an entire movie.


I also sketched a frog recently in an attempt to awaken my drawing slump since the end of Inktober.

7 comments:

Allstarme79 said...

We loved The Menu! It didn't go in directions I anticipated, which makes for a great movie, in my opinion.

Liz Hinds said...

Cute frog! I saw a cartoon recently about cow tipping and Husband had to explain what it was. Did I see it here? Have you mentioned it? I wish my brain worked!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I have not seen this but may have to. I worked in a lot of kitchens in my day, from fine dining to Perkins pancake house. What goes on in the kitchen stays in the kitchen.
I once went to an event. It was theatre and we were served by the wenches and knaves. It was called The Canterbury Feast. It was such fun. Well you are at a table with 12 people. You get bread that is uncut. You rip off a piece and pass the bread. The same with the salad, You use your hands. There are no utensils. Well there was a woman at our table having a hissy fit that people were touching her food. She refused to eat. I leaned over and said to Rick they touched it in the kitchen too with no gloves trust me. She was so loud and obnoxious that her husband told her to leave. She huffed and left. When you sign up for this event you are told what it is about and what it will be like and the menu. There were no surprises except the play. It was rip-roaringly funny and a bit risque and such fun. Everyone else at our table was kind and lovely.
But giving up meat I can do for two weeks and then I crave meat. I feel guilty but then again I eat chicken and eggs too. I don't feel bad about that for some reason. I praise you for being vegetarian. I can't do it. Then again I can't eat grains and gluten so then I'd have nothing left. :-)

Abby said...

Allstarme79, yes, so twisty turny. Usually I can predict such things, but not with The Menu!

Liz, my cow tipping attempt took place when I was a teenager. I'm pretty sure I blogged about it, but it was a while ago. In summary: massive fail.

Abby said...

Peggy, that theater meal sounds fun - the "Karen", not so much. Yes, if she only knew what went on with her food in the kitchen!
I've had a few kitchen jobs and enjoyed them - the work is creative and educational,requires organization, planning, teamwork... too bad the pay is sh*t.

And I am not a vegetarian, believe me I've tried.I just abstain from beef. Maybe if there'd been a chicken or pig on tour when I was a kid?

Jeanette said...

I'll have to check that movie out! I'm not a big meat eater but I do like a nice hamburger once in a while! I already drink almond milk but I don't think I will ever be able to give up cheese completely!

Abby said...

Jeanette, I don't know why I didn't give up milk sooner. But cheeeeeeeeese... apologies to the cows.