Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2024

hi ho

Big, wet snowflakes are falling outside my window. Looks like it's gonna be a bus-to-work day. This image showed up in my fbook feed today - from my hometown's history:


Just a little reminder how posh most of us have it today.

We had a fire drill at the college this week. Thankfully, that day, it was relatively warm and sunny out. We had to scoot all of the people who were testing out to the gathering spot. 

Now, staff was given word of this drill several weeks ago so as to plan accordingly. We happened to have several students from one particular class taking an exam at the time. Later, their teacher emailed us, concerned about the students being able to collaborate during the fire drill "break", stating, "I thought the testing center was exempt".

Uhm, well, no. Fire drills are to be treated like the real thing for EVERYBODY, not surprisingly. We told the instructor that we were out there with her students, while not burning, and they behaved themselves, mumbling under our breath how she shouldn't schedule a large exam during a planned fire drill.

Left feeling rather underappreciated once again, I can now look at those early coal miners from my weird little hometown and realize I've got it pretty good.


5 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

My husband's dad was a coal miner. Got black lung. Horrible business. He grew up in a poor area and sadly it still haunts him. His father did not wish for him to go to the mines. I understand your comment on how posh we have it all in comparison. We are thankful!

Linda Sue said...

Glad that was not a shot of you under the earth being all grubby and coally! For a moment I shuddered!
I used to LOVE fire drills- a break in the monotony of one foot in front of the other- i especially would have welcomed one during a test!!- time to think!

John Holton said...

Buddy when I’m long gone, won’t you make my tombstone
Out of number nine coal, out of number nine coal

I used to hate fire drills. Our fire alarm was this very loud, very harsh buzz that would startle me when it went off. It was actually better when we had no warning...

Why should it matter that the kids taking the exam together would collaborate? I mean, I understand that you wanted to test who did and didn't get the knowledge, but whether they got it from the textbook or one of their classmates, they knew it now...

Liz Hinds said...

Silly of the teacher if the drill was planned in advance.

Allstarme79 said...

There's always people like that, right? Who expect you to work around them when they didn't plan at all. Sigh. And yes, we all have it pretty good and hardly ever take that into account. I try though, I do.