Pages

Tuesday, January 16, 2024

places to go, people to see

Work was closed yesterday because of the weather. There were no classes scheduled because of the holiday, but "other stuff", including us, had to shut down.  I snagged this pic of my neighbor clearing snow with his leaf blower as seen through our frosty front window.


The sub-zero temperatures make for very fine, very powdery snow, so a leaf blower works quite well as a snow blower. I went out a little while later and cleared our snow the old fashioned way - shovel.

Today, the college is on a delayed start, so I have an extra hour this morning before heading in. The university and school district are both fully closed for the day. So much for peer pressure. 

I got the automated call last evening about the delayed start, the robotic voice stating,

All campuses will be on a delayed start for Tuesday 1/16/1924...

and I'm thinking what the heck kinda automated messaging service are we using that, 24 years into it, doesn't realize we're in the 2000's now?!

I think I was pretty productive despite all the cabin fever. After my big winter break declutter, I got going on a digital declutter - cleaning up and organizing files and getting rid of old crap. It was, strangely, nearly as cleansing as clearing the physical stuff.

My laptop's telling me that it's -14F and partly sunny. I'll leave the house in about an hour and the outlook then is for -3F. But by the time I get off work, we will hopefully be in the mid-20s. Above zero!

That sounds downright balmy!



7 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Sadly I read this and didn't notice the 1924...me, who is normally too observant for most people. I'm gettin' old.
Winter in so pretty from my 50 degree seat.

John Holton said...

I guess they didn't take care of the Y2K problem on the autodialer.

Wow, temperatures in the 20's? Time to wash the car!

Abby said...

Peggy, don't worry, I'm sure you would've HEARD it if you'd gotten the automated voicemail.

John, time to break out the flip flops!

Jeanette said...

1924? Ha ha! Thats too funny!

Abby said...

Jeanette, welp, we knew what "she" meant

Liz Hinds said...

I just don't know how people cope with those sorts of temperatures! A little worrying that a college still thinks it's the twentieth century!

Abby said...

Liz, I just kept hoping our furnace wouldn't decide to crap out.