Pages

Sunday, January 21, 2024

Thank your husband and electric needles.

"Tell your husband 'Thanks!' for shoveling our sidewalk!", he cheered from his driveway.

"Oh, sure, no problem!", I hailed back

Neighbor Guy next door. I noticed during our recent snow storm(s) that no one seemed to be home for a while over there, so when I was out shoveling, I shoveled their sidewalk as well. Tell your husband - pffft. 

And I did tell Magnum, we chuckled a bit over it. I don't hold it against Neighbor Guy. I guess it's "normal" to assume the resident man handles the shoveling of snow. Neighbor Guy is a rather burly manly man himself who takes care of the outside of the house. I don't know him that well, but he always seems friendly.

And honestly, I rather enjoy shoveling snow. As long as it's not bunches of it, wet and heavy. Magnum does share in the task, but for the most part, especially before he began working from home, it was one of my chief duties. It's only fair since he brings home the Lion's share of our income. 

My coworker, Sarge, is in a similar boat. His wife is the main earner for his family, so he picks up the "house work". Yes, out there clearing the snow, etc. and also doing most of the cooking and shopping, driving the kids around... Equity and Inclusion, we're on it!

I went for a sloggish run this morning. Recall I've been off the running while dealing with a fritzed foot. It's been feeling better, but then I caught a cold, and then we were hit with an arctic blast - neither conducive to start running again.

This week, I had another appointment with the physical therapist, and he somewhat "assigned" me to go for a short run-walk this weekend and report back. Felt pretty good actually, though a bit cold and I had to deal with annoying ice in several places. Plus being out of shape *huff puff*. But the foot held together.

We did the dry needling thing at this last appointment. It felt... interesting. I didn't watch the process at all - first hit was in the outside of my calf while I laid on my back, second was in my lower back/hip while I laid on my stomach, so I didn't exactly have a view of either anyway. 

But he inserted (I think) two needles each time, then added electric stimulation to the needles, so there was this pulsing going on in there - like in [this youtube short] I found. He did that to the areas for about 2 minutes each. 

It felt neither amazing nor painful, but it was a very gentle feeling. Like the cat when he prods me to let him under the covers.


10 comments:

BootsandBraids said...

LOL, but don't ever enlighten him. My guess is, nice guy though he seems to be, he'll be offended a woman was doing "man's work" on his driveway.

Linda Sue said...

walking along an electrified barbed wire fence might also do the trick. It's free!
Women folk ought not be doing manly work!! Their ankles may become exposed...harlots!

Abby said...

BootsandBraids, oh no, I won't enlighten him for precisely the reason you cite!

Linda Sue, I feel so dirty...

John Holton said...

Sounds like a good arrangement. For myself, I'm happy I live where it doesn't snow, and when it does, we can stay home and wait until it melts.

Liz Hinds said...

Good for you and Magnum for sharing the jobs. Not convinced about he benefits of sticking needles in any part of me but hope it was beneficial for you.

Abby said...

John, good plan. Around here, waiting until it melts includes the the crusty dirty icy stage we'd rather forego.

Liz, I think the needles did "something", just not yet sure what.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I too didn't mind shoveling snow. Then we got a snow blower and I loved doing that. I too would do the entire blocks sidewalks and yet they would thank my husband when they saw him and he'd tell them I did it. Something about snow blowing gives me the same satisfaction as power washing. I love doing both. But thankfully my shoveling days are over. 74 degrees here come this Friday. Or so they say. We shall see.

Abby said...

Peggy, Ooh, yes. We had a snowblower for a while (it came with that house). good times! I would go hog wild with a power washer.

Paula C said...

I would like to hear more about dry needles. I have never heard of that. But if it helps pain without drugs I would certainly consider this method.

Abby said...

Paula, I've had two dry needling sessions now - mainly in my lower back and hip. Not at all painful, and seems to be helping. Highly recommend - no drugs 👍