Pages

Friday, January 5, 2024

Let you go

I've taken today and yesterday off of work since I'm still dealing with this dang cold. I feel okay, actually. I'm sure I could perform my "job duties as assigned" just fine, but I'm still a bit congested and scratchy and don't want to sicken my coworkers. Our work setting is an open "corral", so not much for social distancing. I explained to Boss that I wasn't quite fit for humanity just yet.

As such, I've been feeling a bit restless while holed up at home. But The Great Declutter of 2024 has been going quite well.

On Monday, I tried to drop a couple of bags of donations at ARC,  but they had stopped taking donations by the time I got there. Fine, I drove over to Goodwill, which turned out to be closed for New Year's Day.  So I came back home and scheduled a pickupplease.org truck. They're coming next Wednesday.

In the meantime, I've been working on filling up more stuff for the truck. I think I've gathered about all I care to donate right now, and the rest of the crap is going in the trash, unworthy.

I'd thought myself a minimalist, but still had much to answer for. For example:

  • Handfuls of panty hose?? I rarely wear panty hose. Much of it must have been from my corporate working girl days 27+ freaking years ago. I've been schlepping that along each time we've moved?
  • Extension cords. So. Many. Extension cords.
  • Cinch sacks - from employee orientations and road race paraphernalia, cinch sacks are/were the handout of choice for so many. Be gone!

I also happily sold a couple of items through Marketplace: a fully waterproof backpack we hardly ever used and a double-wide computer monitor I haven't used since downsizing to just a laptop. Both items sold quickly and went to, I believe, good homes. 

  • I met with a young "dude"  at a pizza place downtown to exchange the backpack. He plans to use it for rafting - perfect.
  • A young dad met me in a nearby parking lot for the monitor. He said he has the same model already, so now he'll have double-double! 
Everybody's happy.

Lastly, I've been chipping away at this 1000-piece puzzle from step-MIL that we started on Christmas. Claude Monet. 



So much sky. So much water. So many pieces look alike. I hate/must finish it!  

Damn you, Monet!

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up with [John] for Mama Kat this week for the prompt:

  1. Share something that you worked on this week.

10 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Wanna help me declutter. I went through photos one day and got lost in memories. I need someone to kick me in the ass.
I sure hope you'll be feeling better soon!!

John Holton said...

Good news is that you're almost done with the puzzle.

Extension cords multiply almost as quickly as rabbits...

Linda Sue said...

The nerve of Monet, making puzzles out of same same sky water. Write a letter of complaint, I say! Kudos for subtracting things no longer needed by you but needed by others. Good job finding that option. I love stuff , the stuff that I love. Let fe s short why not collect all of the little prewar polish granny dolls one can? And when I die , my sons will take them to the dump but at least they held pride of place in my cabinet. Life is short for them too.

Abby said...

Peggy, NEVER start your declutter with photos. My advice: start with panty hose.

John, so true about the extension cords. How does that even happen??

Linda Sue, you're giving those prewar polish granny dolls their best life!

Liz Hinds said...

Hope you're fully recovered soon. I am doing the boring bits of my jigsaw at the moment too. Driving me mad!

Abby said...

Liz, soon after satisfyingly finishing that puzzle, I satisfyingly crashed it and boxed it up for the donation box.

Allstarme79 said...

We call those cinch sacks "camp bags" because every year the kids went to summer camp, they got one. We have so many!

Abby said...

Allstarme79, they seem to be swag of choice for so many things!

Jeanette said...

It feels good to purge! Even thought we downsized 5 years ago I still have so much stuff I have to get rid of!

Abby said...

Jeanette, it is a nice feeling to easily access things I want without having to dig around stuff I never use 😊