Pages

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

midweek check-in *YAWN*

The new assistant boss FINALLY started working this week. It was a good 2-month process from the time we stopped taking applications to getting through the hiring process to actually getting a person in house. She's fitting in nicely while we've been training her up. Classes start up again next week for the spring semester, so we'll be running on all cylinders shortly.

I've been feeling a bit restless with the downtime from tutoring and hoping my tutor schedule fills up nicely with the start of the new semester. I did get a lot of decluttering accomplished during the break. And I'm sure I can find more to purge. Seems like there's always more.

In other projects, I really want to get started on painting most walls of the house. EVERY wall is "rental white", as our house was a rental when we first moved here. Seems like a good after-purge project.

I'm off work today and have a few errands to take care of. It's crappy windy today, but wind seems to be the main weather phenomenon without rain and snow and whatever else the east coast is getting. I was reading reports of high risk for downed power lines and power outages in some parts of the country and thinking how we don't typically have that problem. Our powerlines are underground, so power outages are usually caused by some freak thing like a squirrel getting into a transformer box.

Now I probably just jinxed it, and our power's going to go out... Well, we do have a lot of neighbor squirrels.



4 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Funny you say that. When I lived in Northern VA our power lines were underground too. But here we are in Raleigh and we lost power last night. Not for long though. It was a crazy storm. We lose power a lot here. Or it's normal but because we had underground lines we just never dealt with it for 25 yrs. Either way, we sat in candlelight and talked and enjoyed it frankly.😉

Abby said...

Peggy, I'm glad you enjoyed your candlelight time. As long as it doesn't last too long and rot everything in your fridge/freezer!

Allstarme79 said...

Dang varmints. We had some issues with squirrels chewing cables and whatnot around here but lately, it's been the racoons. They're digging all over my yard and I have no idea how to be rid of them.

Abby said...

Allstarme79, racoons are so stealth. Sometimes I see them early in the morning, but usually, they just do their damage when no one's looking.