Pages

Sunday, December 10, 2023

show me

 I was at work Friday afternoon. We were wrapping up the last few testers of the day while Boss and GrandBoss were conducting interviews for assistant boss. 

I mentioned a few weeks ago a student who was busted with a cell phone and also found to be spitting in his private room 🤢. He offered a lame excuse for the phone and denied spitting even though we had clear video footage. I don't know what consequences, if any, he faced for his sins.

Anyways, Spitman was in taking another test on Friday, and I just had a feeling...

I zoomed in on the overhead camera as he seemed overly hunched over. Sure enough, as soon as I had a view of his lap, brightly lit up cell phone, right there. I was working with Star, and as soon as the phone became visible again, I drew her attention to the monitor to verify I was seeing what I was seeing. 

Just then, Spitman actually picked the phone up and began typing something into the screen, so really, no further verification needed. I went in, guns a-blazin'!

"You can't have a phone in here", I stated the obvious.

"I don't have a phone!", the blatant lie response.

"Oh brother, here we go", said inside my mind.

"We clearly saw you using a phone on our surveillance camera", probably to no avail.

"I don't have a phone!", the brick wall response.

He stepped out of the room, indicated his jacket pockets were empty, walked over to the locker where his items were stored and showed me a cell phone in the locker. 

"See! There's my phone", because a person can't possibly have more than one.

I suspected the phone was, at that point, in his underpants, and I wasn't about to request a search.

I told him he could return to his test, but we'd have to file a report because he was clearly using a frickin' phone.


Sure enough, we saved the video footage of the bust, and he's clearly seen doing a quick *zhoop* of the phone into the sleeve of his slightly too big jacket when I first entered. Then as he stood, he popped the phone down the front of his pants. 

I don't get it. I mean, how can people just blatantly lie so easily? And the thing is, the class he keeps cheating in is a developmental math class. It carries NO college credit. It's a class to help students who are behind in math, to prepare them for college level courses. 

It would be like needing a cast to set a broken bone, being provided with a suitable cast, but chucking the cast and wearing a fake one to make it look like you're healing.  If he can't pass that class without cheating, he will absolutely drown in college algebra.

Not to mention, I was then faced with the inconvenience of having to file the incident report. I mean, how rude.

I just wonder what's up with Spitman. Is he trying to get kicked out?



9 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well that's a headscratcher isn't it? I just hope there are consequences for Spitman. I am so tired of people getting away with everything.

The Happy Whisk said...

Using a cast when a bone isn't broken is a good way of saying that. Yeah, I dunno why he had his phone or what he was even using it for. And why have two phones? I dunno. I'm not a big cell phone user so I don't get the appeal. I have one, it has zero apps and no Internet - so I can't relate to this world of constantly needing a phone.

BootsandBraids said...

Too bad it wasn't one of those phones that had a problem with batteries exploding. It would have been liar liar pants on fire.

Abby said...

Peggy, I'm guessing he's lied his way out of a lot of things. At this point, I don't even understand why he's in college. He's older, too. I'm thinking late 20's/ early 30's.

Happy Whisk, I work in a testing center. He was using the phone to cheat on a test. It almost looked like he's texting someone who was feeding him answers because it was a math test where he has to show his work.

BootsandBraids, Ha! Literally!

Allstarme79 said...

Having taught college a long time now, I am always amazed at how much worse the lying and cheating seems to be getting. I don't think their parents ever gave them consequences for messing up.

Danielle L Zecher said...

Hopefully, he'll suffer some consequences soon. Just think about his poor coworkers once he graduates and goes out into the world. Ugh!

Abby said...

Allstarme79, I agree it probably started at home.

Danielle, exactly. It's one thing to cheat your way to a degree, but what happens next?

Liz Hinds said...

I still haven't got over the spitting bit . . . Blatant lying, how do they do it?

Abby said...

Liz, I was waiting for the phone to fall out of his pants and him continue to deny it.