Pages

Sunday, December 3, 2023

might be done

As predicted, this past week was a busy one. It was good busy - productive. 

Between testing, tuting, scribing, and interviewing, it was like I had to remind myself that I work part-time and not full. But all good and temporary.

My hiring committee cohorts and I finished up first round interviews for the assistant boss position. There were eight applicants in all, and we ended up recommending a whopping two for second/ final  round with Boss and GrandBoss.

I mentioned a while back that two of the current part-timers expressed interest in the position. One is great, as everybody agrees. The other, not so much. WELL, the Star ended up being filtered out by HR for not having the requisite 2+ years of administrative experience. Bummer. She is young, so just starting to build her skill set. She was fine with it, no worries there.

The other - formerly referred to here as "Slacker", but I feel I should change that, let's call her Kitty - applied and made it through the initial HR filter.

We interviewed her, and it did not go particularly well. In the end, we decided that, just because we know her and like her and work with her, that wasn't enough to grant her a 2nd interview along with the two strongest cadidates. 

So, things could be awkward at work for a while. We shall see. But the whole "be objective" and "beware of implicit bias" was constantly drummed into us from HR, so hopefully Kitty will understand. She is just so not ready for that responsibility. Honestly, I have a hard time believing she actually wants it? I think she mainly  wants full-time benefits. Understandable.

In other recruitment news, it appears that we have new neighbors after the house next door sat vacant for the last two months. 

I haven't seen any actual people, but I did briefly encounter the silhouette of a smallish pooch wandering around their yard. We've had decent enough neighbors since moving here 4 years ago. Fingers crossed that remains true. Either way, I suppose I can stop shoveling their snow now.

We watched a weird movie last night. May December is streaming on Netflix. The names and some circumstances are changed, but it's clearly about Mary Kay Letourneau and the tabloid romance rape of Villi Fualaau.

It takes place years later as their kids are grown and leaving the nest. Natalie Portman plays an actress researching the family so she can play Mary Kay Letourneau in a movie. It had a dark, slow vibe, and then ended abruptly. Good performances, but a bit strange. I'm wondering what message the writer was going for?


5 comments:

BootsandBraids said...

Congrats on the new neighbor. Hope she or they are as nice as your previous neighbors. I saw a woman use keys to enter the vacant unit in my quad. So it looks like both you and I are starting the year off with new people. I just read a review about May December. It rated high on rotten tomatoes, but they did say it turns dark and weird.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I thought the movie was horrible. Good actors but I didn't think so here. It felt like I wasted my time!! I saw where it was getting awards. I thought it was poorly acted and everybody whispered. Weird.
I hope you get great neighbors!!

Abby said...

BootsandBraids, good luck to us both in the neighbor department!

Peggy, weird movie, right? I thought Julianne Moore's acting was pretty good mainly because I'd seen some interviews with Mary Kay Letourneau, and she was Just. As. Ddepicted, which was strange and creepy and crazy. Not sure about Natalie Portman, and the other performances were nothing to write home about.

Liz Hinds said...

So you don't have to make the final final decision? Hope it's sorted soon. Will give the film I miss I think.

Abby said...

Liz, we were tasked with wading through cover letters and resume's, coming up with interview questions and conducting first round interviews, then recommendnig whoever survived to Boss and GrandBoss. It's in their court now.