Pages

Sunday, December 24, 2023

sporting

"Okay, stupid question", I began, "Which ones are the Eagles?"

And so began my experience watching live professional hockey. We went to a Colorado Eagles (farm team for the Avalanche) game yesterday and watched them lose to the Calgary Wranglers. It was much fun, I hope to do it again - maybe not the losing part, but either way...

A few weeks ago, when we got together with Meego and Wolfgang, we somehow got on the subject of hockey. They both claimed it was fun to watch, while Magnum and I had never partaken. We learned that the guy who owns Meego's company is good friends with the guy who owns the Eagles, so employees typically have a number of tickets available to them for free as well access to the company's suite seating.

So Meego invited us to yesterday's game, and off we went. I figured it would be an educational field trip, which it was. Wolfgang got me up to speed with some basic rules - as well as pointed out which team was the Eagles - and I easily got into it. We actually didn't use the suite since the owner's kid was using it for a good sized crowd, but our gen pop seats were quite good.

It was fun watching it live, and the arena was awash with lots of positive energy - never a dull moment. I knew that fights often happen in hockey, but it was a bit shocking to see players haul off and punch someone in the face, live and in real time. 

A good time it was despite the Eagles losing 5-1. But I'm totally new to this and haven't developed team loyalty yet. 

Now here it is Christmas eve already. After watching that hockey game and noticing the players with missing teeth and understanding why, I've had that song "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth" playing in my head.

I've mentioned here before that I murdered my two front teeth when I was 11 years old. I won't rehash the story now, but the key players were myself, a skateboard, and the street. I remember my loving grandma singing that song to me...
Brother Guano referred to me as "toilet teeth" after I got them fixed because the crowns were ceramic - the material of toilets. 

Yes, a formative time in my life. I imagine the teeth voids are more a badge of courage for hockey players. 

Whatever wished for this season, whether having to do with teeth or not,  I wish anyone reading the happiest of holidays!


5 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hockey games during the holidays were a tradition for us.
Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Danielle L Zecher said...

I hope you had a very Merry Christmas.

Liz Hinds said...

Is that ice hockey you're talking about? I know even less than you. A live event is always better than televised for atmosphere although television is good because you can see what's going on and you have someone explaining it as well.

Abby said...

Peggy, sees like a good holiday tradition.

Danielle, we did, thanks!

Liz, yes, ice hockey. I knew the basics - get the puck in the opposing team's net/goal/whatever it's called.

Paula C said...

Hockey was one way I attempted to connect with my father. In my early 20's I took him to a game. It was quite exciting to watch. It also provided a dialogue. Glad you had fun.