Pages

Monday, November 6, 2023

see you in the morning

I'm up early on a Monday. Recently, I'd been thinking I want to get up an hour earlier than I had been. With the advent of the return to standard time, I figured I could begin getting up "an hour earlier" only as far as the clock was concerned. No jet lag.

So here I am with an extra hour before needing to go into work. I figured I'd get some tutoring ducks in order, which I'm obviously not doing.

I had to work on Saturday, so the weekend felt short. Party Girl, my functioning alcoholic coworker, has been caught up in legal proceedings involving the death of her dad's wife and his share of the estate. She'd hoped to reach a settlement with her stepmother's daughter (doesn't feel any sisterhood with her - not even step-sisterhood), but that hasn't happened so the whole thing's going to trial.

As such, she had "sober October" because she wants to be clear headed throughout the process. She does these dry months every now and then, but they aren't exactly "dry" as they include scheduled cheat days. "Makes it less awful"

Interestingly, she revealed to me that, by the end of the month, she no longer feels vengeful toward stepmother's daughter. She believes it was the alcohol that made her feel like putting up this whole legal battle, and now she doesn't really care. But they're so far into it, she's got to see it through. Plus, her brother (sober always) is a vengeful force and sharing in the situation.

She went on to explain that her brother is "this big, burley guy who can be pretty intense". Now, I've seen Party Girl's parents. Mom is average height and build, while Dad is a small slip of a man. 

"How did your dad make such a big burley son with dark hair?", I asked

"Oh, we just figure it was a 'milkman' or something", Party Girl explained in all seriousness. "My dad adores my brother, so we just don't talk about it."

This week, the hiring process for new assistant boss continues. We have to jump through a few hoops for HR before gaining access to the applicants, and I'm ready to get this show on the road. We'll likely get someone hired just in time for the start of finals - trial by fire.


7 comments:

Allstarme79 said...

I thought on Sunday I'd wake up at 5:45, since I always wake close to 7 normally, and yet, I did not. Must be I cannot seem to adjust and all my hours are messed up. Sigh.

Liz Hinds said...

Deaths, wills, estates can cause so much trouble.

John Holton said...

Who knows, she might be a whole different person after a month off the booze. I know that happened with me.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Sad that party girl knows she's of clear head when not drinking but can't stop. Being a functional alcoholic is something I've seen in many. I want to hug them and tell them there's a better way, but they have to want to I guess. We all have our issues, I'm thankful that one is not mine. I have enough!😁

Jeanette said...

I used to love having that extra time before having to leave for work! Makes all the difference!

Abby said...

Allstarme79, I set my intention ahead of time to get up "early" and it strangely worked.

Liz, sadly true.

John, I'm sure the changes would be noticeable.

Abby said...

Peggy, Party Girl has stated she has no desire to stop drinking. She just cuts back when she has a reason, like with this legal biz. I honestly think she could stop if she wanted to.

Jeanette, I got into the habit of getting up early when the kids were little - to have some extra time for myself. Now, they're long grown, but I still like being up with the chickens.