Pages

Friday, November 10, 2023

in the middle of the street

The hiring process for our new assistant boss marches on... at a snail's pace. It's good that the process is so thorough, I suppose. My fellow committee members and I have hurdles to jump through, and each jump is evaluated by HR until we are given the go ahead for the next hurdle. We're getting closer to the finish line, the application window closed yesterday.

Once we pare down the candidates, the remainders will go onto second interviews with Boss and Boss's boss. Fingers crossed we get someone in before Christmas.

Boss is able to take a look at materials submitted from the approved candidates so far. A few days ago he noted, "I didn't see anyone with test center experience".

And I thought to myself, "Well, yeah, because if they had actual test center experience, they would know not to apply for a full time job of it...", but maybe I'm just projecting *ahem*.


But I'll say it again, I like the job - the part-time version of it. It allows me time for tutoring and other interests, and I, thankfully, am not concerned about not having employee benefits. 

In other unfulfilled positions, the rental house next door to us remains vacant. Magnum reports seeing a few looky-loos as noticed while working from home. He knows when someone is checking out the backyard because our dogs announce it from our backyard. 

Affordable housing is a concern around here, like a lot of other places these days. Are the landlords asking too much?

... it's not our dogs, is it? 

Nah.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
5. Write a blog post inspired by the word: future


5 comments:

John Holton said...

Does the job even require test center experience?

Seriously, sometimes the criteria for filling a job are a little unreasonable. The job listing requires more experience than is even possible. I knew a guy who was looking for five years' experience on a software program that had only been out a year...

Abby said...

John, the job requirements aren't stringent at all, very reasonable. The time constraints come from us needing to assure we're adhering to the college's policy of diversity, equity, and inclusion. And that's fine with me.

Liz Hinds said...

This is the good thing about dogs: they have no qualms. George used to sit and stare at what was going on in next door's garden, all the comings and goings.

Abby said...

Liz, the dogs are always interested in what's going on next doors. I wonder what they're thinking.

KatBouska said...

Renting a house around here costs more than double our mortgage. If I were smart, I'd move somewhere smaller and rent this house to pay for my life. ;) I do worry about my kids and how hard they will have to work in order to own a home. I hope you end up with an assistant boss you like!!