Pages

Sunday, November 12, 2023

morning balloons, night donuts

My right foot is on the fritz. It doesn't feel like running. Doctor Internet tells me I have metatarsal(s) stress/ strain. Fine, so be it.

But walking is agreeable, so my feet and I went out and did that on this sunny morning. Not long after heading out, I heard the unmistakable sound of a hot air balloon torch. I looked up to confirm my suspicions.


Hot air balloons are such a strangely calming sight, quietly floating along in the early morning. If I was in that basket, however, I would be anything BUT calm. 




I'm sure the views from up there are stunning, making me a bit jealous of the non-acrophobes. I'll stick to getting awe-inspiring views from the tops of big firm mountains and foothills.

This past week was a good one - felt productive. I was able to stick to my plan of getting up an hour earlier than I had been, putting that dang time-change to good use. 

Last night, we were streaming a movie when I heard squealing tires from not far away. I figured someone was Starsky-and-Hutching it down the main drag. But then... the squealing kept on and on. It would pause then resume, pause then resume... this went on for several minutes. Finally, I paused our movie to listen. 

It was quite noticeable, and I was surprised how long it continued. We stepped outside and concluded that someone(s) who has no qualms about needing to buy new tires, was spinning donuts in the nearby high school parking lot. I'll have to go out and investigate in a little while to see if there's a mess of burnt rubber evidence. 

As far as we know, no one called the cops, although I'm sure others heard it. Maybe most, like us, figured "someone else will report it" or "as long as they're not on the street, let them have their fun". It eventually stopped. I checked nextdoor and reddit, my main go-tos for nosiness. Nothing.

That's about it for the excitement at my end: bum foot, balloon, burnt rubber.


7 comments:

Marty said...

LOVE hot-air balloons! But like you, I'll enjoy them from a distance.
I wonder if the doughnut maker was using his (being sexist here, but how many girls of driving age have a hypothalamus as underdeveloped as a guy's) own car. Daddy's going to be buying new tires sooner that he expects.

Abby said...

Marty, that's what I'm thinking - some kid (most likely male) was having fun ripping up Dad's tires, never having to buy a set. I wonder how that's working out for him.

Linda Sue said...

Love your photos, the air so fresh. Walking is always better than running I think. Fewer injuries, plus shoe conservation seems to favor walking.beautiful area!

Allstarme79 said...

Ha, I remember doing donuts when I first started driving. Not the brightest idea. We encountered a guy who backed into a parked car on our Saturday evening walk. I don't know if he left a note, as we sort of looked the other way. The next morning, the car was still there so, who knows?

Abby said...

Linda Sue, it really is a nice area for walking, running, balloon watching... Some say that runners run just so they can buy new shoes.

Allstarme79, I also remember doing donuts as a kid, but it was in a snowy, slippery parking lot, so it didn't sacrifice the tires!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I never did donuts but remember the guys who did. Never understood the "fun" of it.
When I was young I would have hone up in a balloon. Now, not so much. Besides I'm so damn clumsy I'm sure I'd laugh, throw my head back, lose my balance and fall out. Not even kidding!

Liz Hinds said...

It's like jumping out of an aeroplane: I love the idea of floating in the sky but the other bits I'm not so keen on.