Pages

Saturday, September 2, 2023

animalia

Weekend brain dump...

  • Monday and Tuesday of this week, our A/C was out at work. Not the whole building, but right where we happened to be... of course.  We had a storm blast through on Sunday afternoon, and the consensus was that some lightning put the A/C on the fritz.

Bottom line, it was hot in there but not excruciatingly so. Hottest it got before the air kicked back on was 79.7 F. We gave testers the option to reschedule, but not surprisingly, everyone just wanted to (literally) sweat it out. All managed to keep their clothes on.

  • In the meantime, interviews for the new boss have been completed. No word yet on a selection. If Assistant Boss becomes boss, that would make for the easiest transition, but then there'd be an opening for an assistant boss, and the cycle continues.

It seems that none of us current underlings care to be the assistant boss. The job is nice as a part-time gig, but I wouldn't want to do it full time, and that's pretty much the consensus among my coworkers. 

  • College football, which I don't follow, starts locally this weekend. I mention it because my alma matre CU Boulder, a little ways down the road, has received much hype around the hiring of Deion "Coach Prime" Sanders as the new head coach who's going to turn things around after several lackluster seasons. 

Will the season live up to the hype? Welp, season tickets are sold out anyway. I can get a "Prime Time" hoodie for $75, but I'll pass.  Personally, for the few games I attended while in college, I mainly enjoyed watching mascot Ralphie lead the team onto the field and found the games themselves less exciting.

   

I remember reading how people from other countries are surprised at the amount of attention that high school and college sports get in the U.S., and their surprise makes sense to me. 


Our local university kicks off their season today as well, amid much non-hype compared to the CU Buffaloes. 

And I'm sure my recent morning run buddy, Cam, will have his game face on. 



5 comments:

John Holton said...

Watching Ralphie lead the CU Boulder team onto the field reminds me of how the University of Georgia takes the field, led by UGA, the Georgia bulldog. CU is even playing "Glory, Glory Hallelujah" like they do at Georgia, only here it's calle "Glory, Glory To Old Georgia."

Abby said...

John, a bulldog! I hope UGA doesn't have to run as far as Ralphie does, that distance seems like work for a bulldog.
At CU, the words are "Glory, Glory Colorado...", but in my head, I always hear "I've been workin' on the railroad..."

Jeanette said...

Not a football fan in the least! Glad your AC at work wasn't out for too long!

Abby said...

Jeanette, the AC outage never got too bad, and we appreciate it more now :)

Danielle L Zecher said...

I'm glad they got your AC fixed, and that everyone kept their clothes on.