Pages

Thursday, June 29, 2023

party-downtown day and a ram

Bike-to-Work Day 2023 is done. It happened yesterday, and we had a beautiful morning for it. Magnum and I headed out to be among the masses and got our fill of freebies and food. 

Here's a small display of things I decided to pick up, Chick fil-a chicken biscuit sammich for scale:


The haul included some bike lights, couple of first aid kits, bike map, coupons... The ziploc bag looking thing is, I think, for carrying water? The theme of the booth was water conservation, so I'm going with it.

Ironically, it seems that bike-to-work day has become more of a skip-work-and-come-party downtown as most of the booths are concentrated at the university and downtown, two locations close to one another. Businesses with outlier booths are less likely to get visitors. If I would have actually ridden my route to work at the college (I was off yesterday), I don't think I would've seen any stops. In fact, the college used to have a booth on site, but stopped doing it since covid and hasn't resumed.

I'm not complaining, though, just observing. It's a fun time, with lots of cute kids, who I'm sure were not going to work.

I did have my bike cam rolling, but the footage is pretty similar to last year's, so no fresh video.

And speaking of Cams, I was out for a jaunt this morning and came across this local celebrity


Cam, the Ram, the university's mascot, was out "taking his walk", according to his handlers.


I asked for a photo, and he struck this ramly pose.


I found it amusing that he was out there just going for a stroll while  in full "uniform". 


According to his profile page, Cam...

"is under 24-hour surveillance at a top-secret location with constant access to on-call veterinarians..."





Welp, I guess good on me for being out there early this morning. I think I now know where Cam's top-secret location is. 

If I'm not heard from after this, it's likely because powerful people decided I know too much.


8 comments:

Allstarme79 said...

I feel like there's a lot of activities that seem like they're for a good cause but just end up being a reason to skip work. That's just human nature, I suppose.

Abby said...

Allstarme79, I agree. And those who eventually did go to work probably spent a good portion of their time discussing their bike-to-work experience.

Marty said...

Oh my! Just the photo of the ramly pose could give ne'er-do-wells a way of piecing together his location (after a lengthy search of all fences in a 50 mile radius)!

Abby said...

Marty, they're coming for me, I know it!

Linda Sue said...

you live right there where you are supposed to- suits you so well! And a ram in the path being lead by a ram lover- could it be more perfect? I will ask again in the winter...

Abby said...

Linda Sue, you are so right! It's worth the winters.

Jeanette said...

That looks like a lot of fun!

Abby said...

Jeanette, indeed it is!