Pages

Sunday, August 20, 2023

people

It's crowded here again. Nothing obnoxious, but the elbow room of summer has noticeably diminished. I understand that enrollment at the university is approximately 30,000 students. Their fall semester starts tomorrow, and freshman move-in happened in waves last week, so that was particularly noticeable with all the freshman parents in tow as well.

On a more subdued change, our semester at the college also starts tomorrow, but we're just a community college - no dorms, no sports. I doubt that anyone comes from "far and wide" to attend. My schedule will change slightly - same days of the week, same number of hours. Coworker Triple Dee teaches a class, so I'm swapping a couple of shifts with her to accommodate her class times, and I'm looking forward to the change if, for none other than it being a change. Ho hum. We had our tutoring ducks-in-a-row meeting as well, so let the games begin.

Earlier this week, I was at the downtown library. It was mainly an excuse for a joyride on my bicycle, and I did have a book to return. I stopped in the ladies room before heading home, and while I was washing my hands, a bearded guy emerged from one of the stalls. 

Another woman was washing her hands beside me and gave me a little sideward glance like, "what the hell?", but we didn't say anything. He didn't bother me - was using the facilities and not doing anything creepy. 

SOURCE
Outside, as I was unlocking my trusty bicycle, the-bearded-from-the-bathroom passed by me, heading toward the parking lot. I glanced over and realized, "he" was not a guy, but a woman with a full-on neck beard, possibly a case of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) or similar.

Not long ago, Party Girl shared with me that she used to be quite hairy. She spoke of arm hair she could comb, chest and belly fuzz, chin and neck fur, and her lap - a veritable forest of pubes. 

You'd never know it today. She explained that she had it all lasered off at some point, all except her face. 

But she did have the neck beard going on. For that, she said, she'd had routine, painful electrolysis. It was at one of those sessions that the electolysiser mentioned PCOS.

Party Girl said she asked her doctor about it, and her doctor said, "No, you don't have that", reasoning  that, "you're not hairy other than your face".

Hello? Laser removal? But he just shut her down.

She (smartly) got a new doctor... and meds to control her facial hair.

I've heard of bearded women who are comfortable letting it grow. I'm glad we didn't confront the "guy" in the bathroom before noticing she was a woman. 


6 comments:

Danielle L Zecher said...

I'm so glad no one said anything to the person in the bathroom.

It sounds like a good thing that Party Girl got a new doctor. Some people really shouldn't be doctors.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Omg, I know what pcos is but did not know about the facial hair. Now that would bother me big time. My face...no. when you said you were glad you did not say anything, that was the first thought that went through my head!

Abby said...

Danielle, yep, it's nice that Party Girl had options and made that quick switch.

Peggy, facial hair would bother me too. Whew, so glad we didn't make a big deal about it in the bathroom. No mustache other than light fuzz, but the beard was thick and lush!

Liz Hinds said...

Wow! With all the controversy about trans women today that is very unfortunate. Well, I mean it's unfortunate full stop. I get fed up just plucking out my chin hairs - which do grow at a prodigious rate now I am so old! But at least they're mostly white now. You win some, you lose some.

Abby said...

Liz, at first, I thought she was trans and more comfortable in the ladies room, so no problem. Especially since she wasn't being "weird" around the other bathroom goer and myself.

Allstarme79 said...

Sounds like an interesting encounter!