Pages

Thursday, August 17, 2023

there

We were walking the dogs last night as the sun was setting. Magnum noticed the colors in the sky mixing with the clouds.

"I'd take a picture, but it wouldn't look as good"

Ain't that the truth? A (cell phone) pic doesn't do justice, and you just had to be there. So I rarely take photos just for looking at. I'm more apt to, like recently, snap a pic of my bottle of allergy medicine so I can be sure to get the same stuff when I go shopping.

That said, I'll share a couple of recent pics that you'd just have to be there for.

This morning, I was out enjoying a meandering jaunt while the temperatures were still quite friendly for such things. My meanderings took me through the university trial gardens - a happy destination. 

Emerging from the tunnel access, I saw this portion being watered, and something about the sprinklers and the flowers backdropped by the gazebo got me to whip out the phone. A groundskeeper tried to photobomb from his little groundskeeper vehicle. Spy him?

The university has a strong horticulture department, and the purpose of the trial gardens is:

"to evaluate the performance of different annual plant cultivars under our unique Rocky Mountain environmental conditions"

But other than that, it is a gorgeous place to check out, hang out, run around, bring friends/ visitors, and maybe learn some stuff while you're at it. Easily accessible and free, the trial gardens are always popular in the summertime, but not so much that they're crowded and obnoxious. I'm pretty sure the bees appreciate them too.



And for extra credit, we were dogsitting Chaco's dog, Ella, again this past week. She's a good looking dog, but not an easy one to photograph. 



A Jackie Onassis of the dog world?


Especially when out for a walk, she's on a mission known only to her. Expecting her to stop moving is typically futile, let alone provide a decent profile for snapping.


Somehow the stars aligned and I managed this.


Looking at both of these photos now, I again realize, "you had to be there".

But I'd say they're at least more blog worthy than a bottle of allergy meds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:


2. Show us the last photo you took and let it inspire a blog post.

10 comments:

John Holton said...

Nice dog! Why is he hard to photograph? And the flowers are gorgeous...

Linda Sue said...

Beautiful garden- ineffective way to water! Lovely little doggo!

Danielle L Zecher said...

It would be so nice if pets were always cooperative when we try to take pictures.

Abby said...

John, I don't know why, but whenever I get my phone out to take a photo of Ella, she shows me the back of her head and/or slinks away. I have to take pics of her on the sneak. Maybe she's in the witness protection program?

Linda Sue, very observant of you. That's why the sprinklers caught my attention. It makes me wonder if the irrigation system at that portion of the gardens is on the fritz?

Danielle, if only!

Patty Sparano said...

I love how you captured the water cascading over the lovely flowers and agree that there might have been an issue with the watering system. Whatever, pretty and...well done, Abby!

Our daughter constantly takes great shots of her dog business clients, have to say that, if...there was ever any camera-shyness, it's long gone. Each dog absolutely hams it up for her photo shoots, even running up to her phone, leaving a big nose print!

Abby said...

Patty, your daughter must have honed an elemental photography skill. I swear dogs have a sixth sense about people.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

These days my photo camera is to take pics of labels so I can enlarge to read them pitiful I know!!

Liz Hinds said...

I've recently looked after two grand-dogs who were just like that. Impossible to photograph. And I know what you mean about not being able to capture the beauty of a sight. I think it takes a lot of patience, knowledge, expensive cameras and time. That's my excuse for blurry shots anyway.

Allstarme79 said...

Phone photos, and even ones from my old DSLR, never look exactly the same as the real thing. It's frustrating.

KatBouska said...

I bet if you held a little piece of hot dog up he would sit real pretty! I gave up trying to photograph the moon a long time ago for the same reasons, but the garden is beautiful!