Pages

Thursday, August 10, 2023

backup's time to shine

When I first started tutoring, I lived in Colorado Springs and worked for a company based in Denver. While I was there, they broke into the New Territory of live online classes. It was oh so groundbreaking! Those were the good old days of frequent disconnections and horrible lag and people not able to connect at all, not to mention the big headsets and wobbly webcams. 

The company issued me a Wacom tablet for sketching on the online whiteboard, and when I left, my boss told me "Eh, might as well just keep the tablet", which meant he didn't have to deal with getting me a shipping label and whatnot to get it back to the office. 

So I've continued to use that tablet without guilt since breaking away and becoming my own tutor boss. It still works fine to this day. Five years ago, I figured I should get a backup since that granny tablet must certainly be ready to keel over at any time.

The backup I got is a cute Wacom Intuos, smaller and thinner than Granny. As I mentioned, however, Granny just keeps on kickin'. The cute Intuos has sat on a shelf, moved, and sat on a new shelf since 2018.

Today, I saw it sitting there and decided to let it out to play. I'd never even opened it! What would Marie Kondo say?!

She'd probably say that I never "welcomed it home" or made the tablet feel that it "belonged" or something. And yes, I'm a Marie Kondo disciple, all about the joy sparking. But I failed that tablet.

I cracked that seal today, hooked it up, dowloaded the drivers and took it for a test drive. Thankfully, it didn't seem to hold a grudge for my unwelcoming disposition. That little Intuos is so nimble, so playful, so less crotchety than Granny!

So I drew my cat


Except, now... heck if I'm gonna use it for math.


7 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Not a fan of gadgets but....your gadgets rock!
anything that pump out a cat introducing itself is OK!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, I prefer old school art toys as opposed to the digital ones. No smudgy hands from digital, though, so there's that.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

HA HA. Marie Kondo I heard had a baby and she has said herself that she slacks off a bit more now. That for some reason made me happy.

Abby said...

Peggy, yes, I heard that too. She had a 2nd kid, and nothing like having a baby and toddler running around to lower your tidiness standards!

Liz Hinds said...

I thought we could be friends but Marie Kondo?!
And we Grannies know how to keep going!

Abby said...

Liz, no worries, my house looks nothing like Marie Kondo's!

The Happy Whisk said...

If you had stored the new(er), tablet in a pretty box, she probably would have been okay with it. Love that you took it out and drew. Super fun.

Recently got a second Samsung Tablet and I LOOOOOOOOOVE it. Using it now, outside.

Delightful.

Have a groovy day! Cheers, Ivy.