Pages

Sunday, May 21, 2023

gone, grime, and ghosts

It feels like summer now. We live in a college town, and I'm not gonna lie. As much as I appreciate the university and all it adds to our city, it's nice when the population drops for a couple of months every year. Everything becomes noticeably less crowded and just... slower. *cleansing breath*

My work schedule is a little lighter as well, so I enjoyed a bit more bike riding with no particular place to go this week despite the poor air quality alerts. Canada is burning. We should have a view of the mountain range beyond the trees, but the sky was too smokey.

The local trial gardens (another perk of the university) have begun doing their thing.

A local bicycling group also "planted" two ghost bikes this week, to acknowledge two local bicycle fatalities (so far) of 2023 during Ride of Silence, a world wide event. I didn't participate in the ride, but I did swing by the sites after the fact.


facebook.com/BikeFortCollins

Fort Collins is a very bicycle friendly city (thanks again, in part, to the university), but of course, it could always be better. I'll note that, for these two fatalities, motorists were not at fault. In fact, they likely feel pretty crappy about their involvement. 

Obey the rules. Pay attention. C'mon now.


SO, I look forward to more summer laid backness, and less congestion in our city until the fall semester brings back the U-Hauls and such. 


And NO ghosting from the lovely Violet.






-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:

4. Summer is coming! What are you most looking forward to?


7 comments:

Allstarme79 said...

I COMPLETELY understand about the college town breath - I too live in one and the college kids are gone, as well as all the legislators (because I also live in the capital) so traffic is lighter and it just feels better.

Abby said...

Allstarme79, students AND legislators, enjoy!

Patty said...

Having just returned from our grandson's graduation from UF, the campus, even with so many leaving for the summer, was still very active. The university is so immense that I joked it should become its' own town, apart from being in Gainesville.

I can imagine the close calls when the thousands, upon thousands, of students are in residence.

Enjoy summer, Abby!

Abby said...

Patty, universities really can be like their own towns! There is a small summer university presence here, but it's noticeably less congested.

KatBouska said...

We usually get hit with smoky skies when Canada is on fire too, probably just a matter of time. I want to know more about trial gardens! What is that!?

Jeanette said...

I don't live in a college town but I get how nice it must be when students go home for the summer. I worked in Ann Arbor for years and my drive to and from work was so much better after the students left!

Abby said...

Jeanette, I bet. Ann Arbor's got a biggie!