Pages

Monday, May 29, 2023

found

 Went out for a light run this morning since work is closed for biz on this holiday. I'd seen a headline in the news feed about American flags on display at a local park for fallen service men and women. I didn't read the article and figured there'd be some small "decorative" flags lining a pathway or such.

So this morning, I found myself in the area of this particular park, looked around and didn't see any little flags. "Maybe the little flags are at the other end of the park, or maybe I am just not seeing them", I pondered.

I continued to the other end of the park. Lo and behold, these were not little decorative flags. There were 500 good sized American flags taking up quite a bit of space in what I later learned from the provided website, is  the "Field of Honor  American Flag Display"  

Fort Collins Breakfast Rotary Club puts up their “Field of Honor® American Flag Display,” which consists of 500 American flags in formation. Hanging on the flags are medallions bearing the names of others’ heroes.  

I wasn't quite sure what was meant by "others' heroes", but I think it means fallen soldiers other than Vietnam since this year's display also included The Vietnam Traveling Wall.

There was an entire stage set up where a couple of women were reading names of fallen soldiers - apparently, the names of 58,318 fallen service men and women are read each day, Friday through today, from 7am to 7pm.

I was there around 7:30am, and there were very few others. I just saw one couple in the Vietnam wall area. The handful of others at the park were, like me, out using the pathways or tennis courts or dog park. But several vehicles were starting to arrive.

I headed back home in the morning sunshine, glad that I'd come across the more-impressive-than-expected tribute. 


5 comments:

BootsandBraids said...

Nice!

Abby said...

BootsandBraids, very glad I found it 😊

Jeanette said...

That is a very impressive tribute to our fallen soldiers!

Allstarme79 said...

That's very cool! I wore a lot of American flag clothes all weekend. Also took a couple runs, which I regret slightly, as now my body hurts. But after a few more, maybe I'll get used to it again.

Abby said...

Jeanette, it was a nice reminder that the holiday isn't about appliance and bedding sales.

Allstarme79, glad you had time for some running. My search for the flags took me farther than I'd intended, so win-win!