Pages

Friday, May 12, 2023

come again another day

Everything is soggy. 

We've had a gentle falling rain for the past 24 hours or so. Kind of odd for these parts. I went for a short bicycle outing this morning, and on the way back home, decided to take the long way. I had an actual raincoat on, so why not?

There's an appealing calmness when rain is gently falling like that.  Here, we're more likely to get violent thunderstorms that blast through and wreak havoc, maybe throw down some car- or roof- totaling hail. But not this gentle make-a-youtube-to-lull-people-to-sleep rain.

So I took advantage of the rain and my raincoat and the fact that I have the day off. With the spring semester over, I have no tutees for the next few weeks.

I came across this mini swamp amid a cacophony of frog noises. I recall reading once that, if you hear wildlife noises, it's usually an indicator that mating is happening or trying to. 


Expect tadpoles soon.



I snapped the soggy pic below from near the area I captured that Goldilocks snow a few months ago.


Goldilocks rain this time. 

                


Recently, at work, we were talking about how people form close "relationships" with inanimate objects. This because we had a pink gel pen left behind by a student who swore she wouldn't forget it because it was her "favorite pen". 

A cart outside in the hallway was stocked full of "favorite" water bottles left behind. 

And we all fessed up to having placed similar sentimental value on items that are otherwise easy to replace.


Pretty silly, actually.








During a short hiatus on this morning's ride, my good friend, bicycle Violet and I got a snarky kick out of the notion.

4 comments:

Linda Sue said...

NOT SILLY!!! Even the stairs that do not get used very often have feelings of loneliness, I know this is true.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, sad staircase oh no!
I'm convinced my bicycle Daisy was sad that Violet got the rain ride.

Chatty Crone said...

Just wanted to say hello and wish you a happy mother's day tomorrow.

Abby said...

Chatty, thanks, same to you!