Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2023

something next to nothing but different than the day before

1. Write about a time you participated in a competition.

This one time? At band camp?

No, actually... I did marching band and sports - basketball and track - all through high school. Competitions were a part of daily life. At one track meet during my freshman year, Coach added me to the long jump roster. 

Now, I was a sprinter, and track rules were that each athlete could compete in (I think it was) 5 events or less. No more. Between my individual events and relays, I was maxed out already. But Coach noticed that there were not many girls competing in the long jump at that particular meet, so she added a couple of teammates and I to the event figuring that chances were high we might get some points out of it. 

I jumped as an imposter, code name: Cordova. 

I wasn't really into it, but what the heck. Problem was, a couple of times "my" name Cordova was called to jump, it failed to occur to me that the track official was summoning me. I vividly recall my teammate Debby smacking me on the arm, "you're up CORDOVA *big bug eyes* wink wink nudge nudge*

"OH, yup! That's me! Cordova!", I bellied up to the deck as the official looked at us suspiciously. Then I performed my mediocre-just-became-a-longjumper-an-hour-ago jump.

I somehow managed to sort of make a name for myself in my real events by the end of that season, so most of the other coaches at meets we attended eventually knew my real name. That was the end of my track fraud career.

2. Tell us about a recent favorite purchase.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that Magnum and I left the gym we'd been members of and bought city rec passes instead. The rec pass is cheaper than the gym and gives us access to more facilities including several pools, three different weight/ cardio rooms, indoor gymnasiums, etc. So far, I'm happy with the change. I've mainly only been to the the weight /cardio room housed inside the local Senior Center because it's closest to where we live, and it's populated with a good mix of ages. 

Seems there's a water aerobics class going on during the times I've gone to the gym. So several older ladies are in the locker room readying to get their water aerobics on. They're sweet and I can tell this is a social as well as physical event for them. 

I walk through a sitting/coffee area to get to the workout room, and in that area are several retired men sitting around solving the world's problems. 

I'm glad there's such a place for these swimmers and world problem solvers. I'm not quite ready to count myself among them.

3. Share a project you are working on.

I'm tutoring a handful of nice students this semester. They're all struggling, which is the reason they sign up for tutoring in the first place. One of these students is clearly intelligent and articulate, but she processes concepts slower than average. 

I've known her from my job in the testing center since she is one of the students who tests with accommodations. I honestly don't know what her "disability" is - something neurological, I think. There is nothing obvious when speaking with her, and again, she is witty and articulate, already has a bachelor's degree in another area. But math concepts take a toll. We're nearly at the end of unit 2, and she's still struggling with unit 1 skills. She's a project I'm trying to figure out.

4. Write a blog post inspired by the word: trip

Magnum and I are embarking on a getaway to somewhere sunny and warm. We'll be wearing shorts and short sleeves and enjoying clean, fresh air.  Playing and relaxing.

... then I woke up. It was dark and temperatures outside were in the single digits. I feel due for a real trip rather than just the dream kind.

5. Write about something you are looking forward to.

 I will let the cat speak for me when I say I'm ready for spring.


Not even necessarily full-on itchy, sneezy, allergeny spring. But I am looking forward to the prelude to spring:  sunny days consistently getting into the 50's, overnights staying above 30, snow that melts the day after it falls.

It's coming, Kitty!

Linking up this week with Mama Kat. Doing ALL the prompts.



9 comments:

John Holton said...

Nice going, using all the prompts! Maybe I'll try that next week...

Abby said...

John, try it! You'll like it!

Danielle L Zecher said...

I'm with you and the cat. I am so ready for spring!

Chatty Crone said...

I am one of those old water aerobics ladies. ☺ And I too am with your cat - ready for spring!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I am #3, nice to meet you. I have her issue whatever it is called.
I want to go to the same place as you in #4
We are having a spring and it's only Feb. It's 60s and 70s and this coming week high 70s and even 80 on one day. Too hot for February!!!! Everyone is sneezing and drippy. It even smells like spring but I keep screaming, IT'S ONLY FEBRUARY!"

Abby said...

Danielle, one month at a time - almost March!

Chatty, I have yet to sample the pool, but it looks inviting. Go girl!

Peggy. want to swap weather forecasts? For a day or two?

Patty said...

Wow, Abby...I am impressed! Then again, anything athletic impresses me for I was the girl in phys ed who had anxiety attacks when faced with climbing that damn rope suspended from the gym's ceiling. Still makes me shudder just thinking about it! Maybe if I had been called by another name, I might have performed better under some alter ego.

Good for you with the tutoring. Oddly enough, I dealt with painful math concepts in school. It's ironic given that, today, I have no issue with juggling numbers and all that's involved. Over the years, I've managed to re-learn and develop my own path through all things numerical. It's just finding that right place to dive in, stop feeling overwhelmed, and do it. I wish you luck with helping this student!

Jeanette said...

I'm about ready to lay in a sun patch too like your beautiful grey!

KatBouska said...

Our kitties might be twins. :) I also support a spring minus allergies. We're still getting random snow flurries though so I think we're a ways off. And I love how willing you were to just take on a sixth event that you had never tried before. Your coaches must have known you were up for anything.