Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2023

let that one go

We're enjoying spring-like weather around here this weekend. Whoop it up because it won't last, so I'll try to live in the moment.  

On that note, Winter Bike-to-Work Day was Friday morning. It was sunny, no real wind to speak of, icy in patches. 

It was 15 degrees. We noped out. That was too cold to be spending that long outdoors and bicycling around town. The coffee and sweet rolls are only so warm.

For the record, I did bike to work later in the day when the temps made it into the 30s. So, I biked to work,  I just didn't bike-to-work. 

Other weekly reflect-upons:

It's changing of the guard time in PEO. My new chapter asked me to be Vice Prez. This means they've unspokenly asked me to be Prez this time next year. I said, "yeah okay, why not..." We'll see what the year brings.

My coworker, Party Girl, confided to me that she's cut off her bff. Bff is a friend that Party Girl grew up with and has been texting with regularly since they reconnected a couple of years ago.  We'll call him "Mo". Party Girl would give us little anecdotes about what Mo's been up to as he's a bit of a character.

So I went into work on Thursday and Party Girl quietly told me she'd cut him off and told him to not contact her anymore, she was clearly upset. She realized there were some red flags with his personality. Then, in their last conversation, Mo mentioned to PG that he'd witnessed a "sexual assault" (I don't know the details) on a girl from a boy in a high school classroom in which he was working as a substitute teacher. Instead of reporting the incident, he just made the kid do a few pushups in the hall. No other reprimand, no reporting it to school officials.

Party girl was livid, disgusted - she wouldn't detail the assault when she told me - and decided to immediately cut Mo off. She said she'd been up late the night before ruminating on her and Mo's relationship by writing writing writing.

Now, I know this is something PG does. Last spring? When we had that issue with Nurse Ratchet and ended up reporting her to HR? Party Girl went to a back room and ranted with pen and much paper while working things out in her mind. It's an effective coping strategy for her.

Anyway, I told her I was proud of her for realizing the relationship was toxic and cutting Mo off, regardless of their long friendship history. 

I give Party Girl a hard time sometimes (in my head) because of her drinking problem that she seems to take a sort of college girl pride in. But on the other hand, she is strangely observant, thoughtful, and  responsible. 

Who knows what she'd be like without the booze?


5 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Well, I didn't know it got that cold there - but I would not be riding my bike outside in that cold either!

Abby said...

Chatty, it does get in the teens pretty frequently. I don't mind bicycling in that temperature if it's sunny out and it's not very far. I sometimes see people on motorcycles with no helmet and wonder how their faces survive!

Jeanette said...

Ugh! I don't blame PG for cutting that idiot off! Too bad she can't report him somewhere!

Abby said...

Jeanette, right?!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh that would have made me raging mad. I'm glad she cut him off. I'd have reported it but that's me.
I admit no longer working I miss all of the employees and their dating drama. I'd hear their stories and these boys were dumb when it came to a female, and I'd laugh most days and some days shake my head.