Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2023

in what universe?

It was summer of 1973 - nearly 50 years ago, sheesh.

Back then, I was a wee babe. Okay, maybe not a wee babe, but wee enough. I was a young school kid. Summer days were typically spent with my friends at the pool, and/or hanging out at grandma's, etc. In the evenings, the family sat around and watched whatever was on TV.

We like to give "kids these days" a bad rap for spending so much screen time, and it's often true. But, admittedly, my peers and I spent a crap ton of time watching mindless TV as kids in the days before game consoles and internet.

So yes, network TV was a much bigger pastime then than it is now. I recall watching lots of detective shows and 6-million-dollar-man and whatnot. Once in a while, something "special" would be on - like a beauty pageant, maybe?

That night, we were watching the Miss Universe pageant. I had very little interest in beauty pageants then, and that interest level has only dwindled to this day. Is the Miss Universe pageant still a thing?  Back in the 1970s, it was a bigger part of "current events", I'd say. 

So that's what was on that night, and I was probably sitting next to my mom, doodling in a sketchbook as was typical during these TV evenings. 

Finally, the show was coming to an end. Thankfully. The big announcement from Bob Barker. It was down to the final two contestants. Miss USA and Miss Philippines.  And the winner...

 

Miss Philippines won Miss Universe! Oh goody!

Suddenly, I was interested. I was interested in what my mom thought and looked immediately for her reaction, because Mom was from the Philippines.

I recall being excited for my mom, all, "Mom! Miss Philippines! She won!", as if my Mom wasn't sitting right there, already in the know.

Mom didn't say a word to me, she was fully rapt in watching Miss Philippines doing her walk while trying to keep that big crown from falling off her head. Mom had a bit of a faraway look in her eyes, like a little private celebration was going on in her head. As a little kid, I was thinking that Mom and the new Miss Universe were friends or something.

Mom in the late 1960s

It can be sometimes difficult to think of our parents living the lives they had before us - so young, and in my mom's case, in a whole 'nother country. 

I don't care for beauty pageants, then or now. But yeah, Miss Philippines 1973 FTW!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:

1. Write about a moment in an awards show on TV that impacted you in some way.

9 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Your mom was beautiful.
I don't care for 'beauty' pageants and never have either.
I grew up a bit earlier than you by I would assume 10 yrs. There was no sesame street, just captain kangaroo. Saturdays were cartoons but only until a certain hour and then we had to go outside. But c'mon the Monkees which I could only view from a friends house because we only had 1 tv and Dad was in charge. Gunsmoke was on at the same time so no Monkees for me very often. But when dad worked overtime we got to see the Monkees! It was such a big deal in 6th grade. LOL

Chatty Crone said...

I don't watch pageants either - but your mama was beautiful!

John Holton said...

Ditto what the other two said: your mother was gorgeous. Probably still is.

Unknown said...

What an awesome moment though! Hearing the pride from people who are associated with groups who hit their "firsts" I can only imagine how your mom felt that night. I, too, have never been a fan of beauty pageants, but I'm happy your mom was watching that night and that you got to share that experience with her.

Abby said...

Peggy, Oh yeah, good old Captain Kangaroo. And Gunsmoke! I vaguely remember the Monkees - a bit for the older crowd ;)

Chatty, thanks 😊

John, Mom is gone from this world, but I like to think she's still out there in the universe.

Unknown, I was so happy for my mom too after seeing her reaction. I remember going to bed right afterwards and feeling everything was right with the world... for that moment anyway.

Patty said...

Oh Abby, how lovely was your Mom!

As a kid, I watched beauty pageants when they came on the television...and I was allowed, of course. Let's face it, back then, there wasn't the vast menu of everything that flashes before us today, on cable, FIOS, whatever. But, as an awkward kid, seeing the women parade by on the screen with perfect everything was overwhelming. Mostly, I wondered how the hell they trotted around in those high heels without falling on their posteriors.

Nice post, sweet remembrance of your Mom!

Abby said...

Patty, thanks. And yes, pageants were a bigger part of the scene back then, but I never felt in the same category as any of the perfect women - nor did I aspire to be :/

KatBouska said...

Yes, we definitely spent hours mindlessly watching TV. When pageants came on it was such a special viewing occasion. lol I can imagine how extra special it must have felt for your mom to see your heritage celebrated like that! :)

Abby said...

Kat, I imagine that meme with the little kid fist pumping in Mom's thought bubble.